• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quatothemutant

OpenGL OpenGL future ?

This topic is 5649 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello every body...... 2 weeks ago.....I began working with OpenGL. But I have some questions: ¿ Is OpenGL better than DirectX ? ¿ Is OpenGL still used for the game development ?

Advertisement
1. you cant compare OpenGL (3d API) with DirectX (API which does many things) you can compare OpenGL to Direct3D, and if you want to read this : http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1775.asp

2. yes, all the ppl on this msg board is proof of that, oh and a little project called ''doom3'' by some bloke at a company called Id Software also uses OpenGL

Well well well, I remember myself in your position at the beginning of a year and a half ago. I asked the same questions almost exactly.

OpenGL is still used for games, yes. Quake 3 uses it, Jedi Knight 2 uses it, and well a shitload of other (pardon my cussing) games use it. It''s fast, it''s portable,

its the open graphics library (applause).

DirectX cannot compare to OpenGL because OpenGL is a graphics library. DirectX Has DXAudio, DXInput, and DXGraphics, (and DirectPLay, show, music, blahblahblah).. You can, however, compare it to DirectX Graphics - the graphical part of DirectX.

I personally use OpenGL because it is fast, a lot easier to learn, and well, the community is much nicer. There is far more documentation on OpenGL than directxgraphics out there, so it''s much more novice-friendly. Just recently I''ve dived into DXGraphics8, which was a bad idea because now I want to try it some more, but I''m tired of trying to get it to work.

You can use DX if you want, but I do recommend diving into OpenGL first. If anything, you''ll get a nice understanding of Matrices and mathematics, a key feature in 3D (and 2d sometimes) game development.

For some popular OpenGL tutorials, check out nehe.gamedev.net, and don''t forget the forums here and at opengl.org. TUtorials are everywhere - all you need to typ into google is opengl tutorials.

Good luck,
~ Jesse

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!