• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NuffSaid

Uses of Neural Networks

This topic is 5737 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are the application of neural networks, apart from the usual pattern recognition and prediction? I''m just curious if there are any other ways that neural networks can be used.

Advertisement
In my eyes there is the possibilty for an AI to get some experience in acting on different situation, transfering "knowledge" from known to the unknown and building a base of knowledge to base on.

We are working on a game with this kind of AI, but it requires a large database and very fast computer to get hold of it.

On www.gamasutra.com are some good articles about it.

As far as I know one of advantages of NN is that agent''s reactions are less predictable but still logic.
Let me explain myself
The human beings'' behaviour depends upon a combination of different inputs.
It can happen that a big change of one or more inputs does not cause any visible effect, while a small one can cause a sudden , violent but still logic reaction.
A NN driven character is more realistic than a traditional FSM character

Motor control is another application, done via regression (i.e. outputting continuous values as a function of the inputs).

I don''t agree with the broad statements about requiring "a large database and very fast computer," or that "NN driven character is more realistic than a traditional FSM character" ... although they can be true in a few cases.

Artificial Intelligence Depot - Maybe it''s not all about graphics...

alexjc

Thanks for your answer

Honestly I have never match a NN and a FSM driven human character , I was just quoting what I read in a book plus some personal consideratios.

a) each output is influenced by all inputs
b) the degree of influence is regulated by the "weights"
c) if the ouputs are boolean and only one output is true while all the other are false for each training input set (analogue and digital), each output can be considered as a "center of gravity".

In consideration of the above a NN seems to be very suitable to simulate a human behaviour.
The reaction of human beings depend upon a complicated interaction among different inputs (item a and b) also a human character can suddenly switch frome one state to an other one if an input reaches a threshold value , in presence of other inputs (item c)
It seems to me an hard job to design such sophisticated behavoiur using FSM
Obviously I realize that the theory is fine but the practice is an other matter

quote:
Original post by AlbertoT
In consideration of the above a NN seems to be very suitable to simulate a human behaviour.

Agreed, but I''ve seen as many well used FSM as NN applied badly (lots ).

So despite it being ''suitable,'' I wouldn''t necessarily correlate it to realism!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!