• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nodeg

C++ Gamedev projects

This topic is 5737 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I''ve been studying C++ for about 5 months now, and have a basic understanding of it. I have no knowledge of WIN32, or any graphics libraries as of yet. I''m currently working on a Q3 mod, which is my second project after doing "hello world" What I''m looking for is some sort of tool to help motivate me to code stupid little games, learn Win32, OpenGL, DirectX and whatever the linux equivalent of Win32 is. Ideally something that sets out an idea, and maybe provides crappy little graphics for projects, and then provides a solution that shows you a completed version of the project so you can compare and learn. I''d even settle for a site with little game source codes so that I can play them and then try to duplicate them. Any other learning resources out there you could recommend would also be cool. Thanks.

Advertisement
You may be rushing yourself working on mod so quickly. Take the time to comprehend C++ and your coding will more consistent. Try making simple games like a text adventure, hangman, tic-tac-toe,etc. Here are some useful links:
http://www.freearcade1.com/
www.gametutorials.com
www.cprogramming.com
http://www.winprog.org/

-----------------------------
"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do."

"...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."

quote:
I''m looking for is some sort of tool to help motivate me to code stupid little games...

A Windows book perhaps? That''s what motivated me. My first C++ program was a game. I used Windows 98 Programming From The Ground Up by Herbert Schildt.

Mark
Sound Effects For Game Developers
http://www.indiesfx.co.uk

Thanks for the links. I''ll check them out. As for books: I have plenty of them. Like I said I have a basic handle on C++. Some of the OOP concepts throw me for a loop once in awhile, but I can get past those blocks with the refs I have.

I took a crappy little C++ course on-line at the game institute, and have the following books:
-Game Programming all in one(Premier Press)
-C++ in plain english
-Learn C++ in 10 minutes
-Special Effects Game Programming with Direct X
-TOTWGPG
-Visual C++.net step by step
-Accelerated C++

I''ve read all of them up, and understand all the C++ specific text... I haven''t moved onto WIN32, or graphics libraries yet. My biggest problems with C++ are some of the OOP stuff(which I grasp more and more), working with modular code, debugging, and actually writing code(which I''ve done little of).

Believe it or not the Quake 3 mod is going OK. I''ve actually been able to go beyond most of the tutorials I''ve read and mold the code to do what I want. I''m having some trouble making in-game menus, but I''m working through it.

Anyway, to clarify, I''m just looking for stuff to help me actually sit down and code. The biggest problem I have is sitting down and working on a small project... and I DO need the practice. Thanks guys. Keep the advice coming

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!