• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Negativecreep0

Collision in Punchout like 2d Boxing game

This topic is 5557 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys just wondering your ideas on how I would go about this. You do all remember Mike Tyson''s Punchout right? Well I am sorting of making a clone type of this kind of boxing game. I was thinking maybe if the enemy throws a punch and player state is not blocking then the hit connects? What are your ideas on collision for this type of game? THanks for any help guys

Advertisement
No need for collision... just check the state of the player or the computer player getting hit... pretty simple.

In PunchOut there were a few states to check.. dodge left and dodge right were misses for the enemy, and a block took off a little energy to use. Another of my favorite NES games.

(silencer)

Punch Out was very much a state-driven game. Your collision detection would amount to checking for certain states on the opponent...

And eys, that game rocked! I still remember how happy I was as a 8 year old when I finally figured out how to beat King Hippo

However, was anyone dissapointed at Mike Tyson? He was a pretty boring and predictable opponent (well they were all predictable since that was the point of the game, but he was even more so)

I still play Mike Tyson''s punchout over at my buddies house. You should try beating Mike with a good ole Buzz going. It''s true, alcohol does slow reaction time!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!