Collision in Punchout like 2d Boxing game

Started by
4 comments, last by Negativecreep0 21 years ago
Hey guys just wondering your ideas on how I would go about this. You do all remember Mike Tyson''s Punchout right? Well I am sorting of making a clone type of this kind of boxing game. I was thinking maybe if the enemy throws a punch and player state is not blocking then the hit connects? What are your ideas on collision for this type of game? THanks for any help guys
Advertisement
No need for collision... just check the state of the player or the computer player getting hit... pretty simple.
In PunchOut there were a few states to check.. dodge left and dodge right were misses for the enemy, and a block took off a little energy to use. Another of my favorite NES games.

(silencer)
Punch Out was very much a state-driven game. Your collision detection would amount to checking for certain states on the opponent...

And eys, that game rocked! I still remember how happy I was as a 8 year old when I finally figured out how to beat King Hippo

However, was anyone dissapointed at Mike Tyson? He was a pretty boring and predictable opponent (well they were all predictable since that was the point of the game, but he was even more so)
My favorite opponent was Soda Popinski.

(silencer)
I still play Mike Tyson''s punchout over at my buddies house. You should try beating Mike with a good ole Buzz going. It''s true, alcohol does slow reaction time!

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement