• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Russell

Compilers

This topic is 5562 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently using MSVC++ 6 Pro, and I''ve recently started using gcc/g++ to do some stuff, and I think I like the GNU compilers better. It''s mostly little things, like the for loop declarations being local to the for loop. I would like a compiler that would allow me to not have to sacrifice good design and file organization just to get it to compile. Some examples of things I find kind of annoying: -Not being able to declare static const data within a class (I think the Intel compiler lets you do this). -Not being able to inline a function without putting it in a header file (seems like bad organization, I think VC++ .NET lets you inline from a source file that isn''t directly visible to the calling file). -Not recursively inlining trivial functions [ Ex. f(g(h(x))) ] Instead, you have to either use macros and hope you don''t spill the cache, or settle for a performance hit with extra function calls and data copying. It would be nice if the compiler could decide the optimal amount of inlining to do, so that it doesn''t make the cache explode, but minimizes your function calling and data copying. A few questions: Is there any compiler that will do some or all of these things? What is the most compliant C++ compiler? What compilers would you recommend and not recommend? A few that come to mind are MSVC++ 6, VC++ .NET, g++, Intel compiler. I have only used VC++ 6 Pro and g++ out of this group. I''m wondering if there''s any reason to switch from VC++ 6 to maybe .NET or the Intel compiler. Thanks for comments and suggestions.

Advertisement
Since no one else seems to answer i''ll throw in my experience.

I use gcc/g++ (mingw32) and it does not have any of the problems you mentions, as far as i know it adheres to the standards. Frankly i am surprised vc++ does not let you use local variables for loop scopes, that''s really lousy.

Problem with gcc is of course that you do not get a fancy developing environment with it. I use emacs, and once you ''get'' it it does everything you need, but it is quite a hard program to learn.

Marijn

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!