Average age of Game programmers and the speed of technology

Started by
72 comments, last by NeoReality 23 years, 10 months ago
Well, I''m the youngest of all of you, I''ll just say i''m less than 15, so, I don''t have the "sense" of being out of date... yet,,,

unixGuy - Fighter for the better OS
unixGuy - Fighter for the better OS
Advertisement
I''m 35. 5''9" and weigh +/- 185 lbs.
I''m also a single parent and have been raising two daughters for the past eight years. They live with me full time.
I''ve been programming since the age of 13, the usual progression of languages, Basic, 6502asm, 68000asm, C, perl, C++...

When I was young and playing baseball, my father told me that if I wanted to be good at it, I needed to "Eat, Sleep and Play baseball." I played ball for 13 years and I took what he said to heart. When I discovered my love of programming, I did the same with it.

My usual day is:
Day()
{
Get_up();
Take_the_girls_to_school();
go_to_work();
Write_code_for_8-9_hours();
Get_the_girls();
Cook_Eat_Supper();
Spend_time_with_girls();
Put_girls_to_bed();
Design_Code_5-6_hours();
Sleep()
Day();
}

I have worked at a start-up game company in Florida a few years ago. I invested some of my own money in the venture and needless to say, lost my a**
I''m not in the game business, I work as a Contractor for a company that is destined to write games.
To answer the original posters question concerning will 25 be over the hill?
I say No.
If you have the skills, and the desire, the next thing you need is to start dropping your line in the water

David "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
- I aren''t a game developer, and I don''t know any.
I do know that I pretty much only want to work regular business hours, no overtime, and no evenings, nights or weekends. From the postmortems in GDMag, that rules me out of just about any professional game dev employment. Not much use in earning money if you don''t have time to enjoy it, as someone said. -And buying a huge house hardly counts as enjoying money (in my book), when all you do at the house is come home from work, sleep, and then go back to work. I am curious as how to program, but it is hardly the only thing I am living for. I''d be much more interested in steadier employment, rather than the usual [that is, temporary] game company environment, as I have read it. - Lubb
RPD=Role-Playing-Dialogue. It's not a game,it never was. Deal with it.
Lubbs got a point,
I would love to program computer games, as I''ve said I''m fed up with databases and accounts packages. But I couldn''t put my self in the situation where I put my Partner and our soon to arive child second to a job.
I want to make nice pretty things, and 9 to 5 I would bust-a-gut (tm) in a job, giving 100% for the entire day. And if it was a real emergency I''d stay maybe a couple of hours late. But I couldn''t kiss my friends and family away for two months!
So i''d like to shift the thread a bit.

Can you work in the computer game industry with out putting your family and friends second?

Just thought, I would work a few extra hours at home (4-5 hours a day, for 3-4 days of the week) but that would be pushing the limit!

to Dak Lozar
A recursive function like day() would surely start eating into your resources. Better to have

while (heart_ticking = .t.)
{
day()
}

Everyone is taking a nice bite out of furby100. Mainly cause we most fear becoming this sterotype friendless geek as portrayed on TV. I don''t think this person really exists, and I''m damb sure none of us would become him/it.
True spend you entire life in front of your PC isn''t going to be healthy (pyshically or socially) and (not in a nasty way)furby100 should get out.

unixGuy
at <15 I would hope you didn''t feel over the hill, you should feel like your''ve just left base camp. Hot coco still warm in your tummy wondering if they ever found the bodies of the last climbing party!

NeoReality Out.

Oh one quick thing,
NeoReality came from when I registered on freeserve. Trying to come up with Something interesting. I didn''t want yetanothermindlessuser1323245@anotherdulldomainname4647647.freeserve.co.uk

NeoTokyo was gone and so where some other obscure names (cabbage,table, etc) and then NeoReality popped into my head!

Its got nothing to do with the rather good film starting Pinokio Reeves, and thats why even though it would be easier to sign off as Neo I continue on for the full title.

Huff!

Just wanted people to know

Neo out!

What else do you need; besides a miricle.
Money. Lots of Money. or I''ll never do a sequel!
What else do you need; besides a miricle.Money. Lots of Money. or I''ll never do a sequel!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement