• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drown

Distribution of points on a plane

This topic is 5544 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''d like to uniformly distribute points on a plane bounded by a bounding box. Any help here with the math/implementation. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by drown
I''d like to uniformly distribute points on a plane bounded by a bounding box. Any help here with the math/implementation. Thanks in advance.

Quick-and-dirty hack: generate uniformly points inside the bounding sphere for your bounding box (search google for uniform random distribution sphere), project on the plane, then cull those outside the box.

Is the plane aligned with an axis of the bounding box? If so, that will make your life easier.

WHat you can do is parameterize the plane by finding two basis vectors. Then, you figure out the extents of your bounding box. Finally, generate random numbers between those extents, and get the 3space point from your parameterization.

EG:
plane has (0,1,0) normal, bbox is (-50,-50,-10),(50,50,10)
so basis vectors are (1,0,0) and (0,0,1)
parameterization extents are [-50,50], [-10,10]
So, let''s generate a random point.
pt = rand()%(extentmax - extentmin) + extentmin
u = rand()%(100) - 50
t = rand()%(20) - 10
point = (1,0,0)*u + (0,0,1) * t

Thanks for the replies, both are interesting ideas. The reason I''m doing this is to calculate ray sample points for PVS calculation. So there is no guarantee that the plane will orient itself with the BB. And the sphere idea might be a possibility...

The loose idea I have is to calculate the intersection points of the BB''s edges with the plane and use those to construct a quad polygon. Then somehow (scanline?) distribute uniform points within that quad. I don''t know if this would work, but it''s just an idea.

Antipenumbral tests might be better here? But there''s very few good, free sources of information about this.

quote:
The loose idea I have is to calculate the intersection points of the BB''s edges with the plane and use those to construct a quad polygon. Then somehow (scanline?) distribute uniform points within that quad.

The intersection of an arbitrary oriented plane with a box is a hexagon, not a quad.

Now I think of it, the sphere idea would NOT give you uniformly distributed points in that hexagon.

Generate points on the plane in some reasonable extent - e.g. a square centered around the point where the box center is projected, with a side big enough that it covers the entire box projection. Cull those points that aren''t inside the box.

Recap:

ProjCenter = Project(Center(BBox), Plane)
MaxRad = Max( Distance(ProjCenter, Project(each of 6 box vertices), Plane)
XVec, YVec = two non-colinear unit vectors, coplanar with Plane
while more points needed
PointCandidate = ProjCenter + XVec * MaxRad * Rand() + YVec * MaxRad * Rand()
if BBox.Contains(PointCandidate)
Add PointCandidate to list of points

Since the XVec * MaxRad * Rand() + YVec * MaxRad * Rand() transformation is affine, it preserves the uniformity of the distribution.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!