• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neen10do

oh god help me

This topic is 5632 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

my hard drive crashed and i lost everything on it.... now a friend of mine has a copy of the game i was developing, with the pictures and the .exe file. it was compiled and created in microsoft visual c++ 6.0. is there a way i can "Decompile" the executable to get my code back? ---------------------- i code therefore i am. Aero DX - Coming to a bored Monitor near you!

Advertisement
No, however you can take your hard drive to a special data recovery center and they can manually spin the disk and extract the data. It''s expensive, but if you want what was on there, you need to do it. You won''t be able to decompile your exe and get source code.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

quote:
Original post by Neen10do
my hard drive crashed and i lost everything on it.... now a friend of mine has a copy of the game i was developing, with the pictures and the .exe file. it was compiled and created in microsoft visual c++ 6.0. is there a way i can "Decompile" the executable to get my code back?

----------------------
i code therefore i am.

Aero DX - Coming to a bored Monitor near you!

Well hopefully most of your code was all original code written by you. Let your memory serve you well, because trust me, the same thing happened to me and I was able to remember _most_ of what I had originally written...you should be back up and running within a week or so (assuming your project isn''t HUGE).

BTW, I always save my work to 2 independent network drives. If you do not have this option, it''s good to keep your source files at least on an email server, or just some site that will let you store files on it for free (X-drive, etc.).

Good ''ol floppies and CD-RWs are good backups too, although not as reliable all the time.

Good luck.

it is my original code... but the version that i do have backed up is old... and all the coding i did was tedious.... its a pretty large game and i dont feel like recoding it (it was large... but not a great one) so despite the fact that it was near completion... i suppose ill start another project.... any ideas? (i kinda want to stay 2d).

----------------------
i code therefore i am.

Here''s a project idea... write a 3d programming language - you drag & drop blocks of code (eg for loop, etc)....

just a thought...

or u could code an rpg msn messenger -> i want to do that in 3d, but it''s hard...

quote:
Original post by Neen10do
my hard drive crashed and i lost everything on it.... now a friend of mine has a copy of the game i was developing, with the pictures and the .exe file. it was compiled and created in microsoft visual c++ 6.0. is there a way i can "Decompile" the executable to get my code back?

----------------------
i code therefore i am.

What brand HD was that?

havent u heard of the "200 ways to revive ur hard drive" book?

well here is some info from it:
(do this at ur own risk)

1. Hit it, drop it, smash it

take the drive and drop it over ur desk from 10 cm high
try it and if i doesnt work do step2

2. hit the sides of it (not very hard ;>)

if it still shows up in BIOS u can write a program to recover the data. or use disk doctor

3. Freeze it (put it 30 mins in the freezer and power up again)
but this can cause condensation which will short-circuit ur system (just a desperate solution (maybe some beer will give u the guts 2 do this ))

u could decompile and get a 10000 pages asm code so this is a bad ideea

I lost 3 months of tedious game coding once. Promptly set up a source controll server on my home network with automated backups. No one should ever code without automated backups IMO.

Guest Anonymous Poster
This is why I cannot stress enough, BACK UP YOUR PROJECTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eventually something like that will happen whether you do or not.
might as well be prepared.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I still dont get how people get their HDs to crash. I guess best advice is to keep p0rn, warez, and music on separate storage medium.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!