• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nagromo

Windows Problems

This topic is 5718 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know that this isn''t related to game programming, but it is related to computers. I have a new machine running both Windows and Linux, and under Linux it is very stable, while it crashes way too much in Windows. I know Linux is more stable, but my computer crashes at least once an hour in windows, more if I game, unzip files, or perform searches. My windows 2k installation CD is scratched, and I think that it might be the problem. I don''t really want to download an illegal copy, and I would never trust Kazaa with an OS, but I don''t really want to spend hundreds of dollars, either. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
what kind of crashes, and when do they happen? Are you getting blue screens, random reboots? or just application crashes that the OS recovers from. if it''s just applications crashing it might just be a driver issue, in which case you''re probably okay. if you''re installed any new hardware recently, update/rollback drivers, and see if that fixes anything. if you''re getting random lockups/reboots/bluescreens, then it could still be a driver issue, but it could also be something more serious like an overheating problem.

They are blue screens; they happen about randomly, but more often when it does something "processor-intensive" (if that exists for a 2.4gHz P4). Three times when I did a hard-drive search I got the same error message, hex strings and all (from what I saw) Heating is an interesting idea. I have 3 fans in my system: cpu, graphics card, and case. The case has a lot of random wires, however. I''ll restart and check temp. I have 30 GB free on my HD, so if worst comes to worst, I can just re-install Windows on a new partition. When I first got my computer, I installed every driver and freebee program that I got, which I now realize is stupid. Maybee there is some problem there, though that would be hard to diagnose.

Windows 2k is pretty stable. At least that''s been my experience and i''m sure others will back me. Many (if not most) colleges will give you a copy of windows XP and office for free or for $20 or something. If you''re not in college, i guess that doesn''t help you.

Great, now that I want the dumb programs, my hardware monitors aren''t working! Yes, I have two. My computer doesn''t feel hot, though, and I can feel a slight airflow by the vents. I think that its either extra junk software or installing my operating system from a scratched CD. That now seems like a stupid idea, but its the only win CD I have. Any suggestions would be helpful, but that would be hard to fix without seeing the computer.

No, Im not in college, but thanks for the idea. I could give up windows forever and live in the Linux world, but, bugs aside, Windows has the best community.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by kdogg
Windows 2k is pretty stable. At least that''s been my experience and i''m sure others will back me. Many (if not most) colleges will give you a copy of windows XP and office for free or for $20 or something. If you''re not in college, i guess that doesn''t help you.

actually, my school screwed me on this. i payed $75 for office xp, only to find out that, as a CS major, i have access to just about everything microsoft produces for free through the MSDN academic alliance - every OS, .net, and a bunch of other random crap.

anyway, as far as the heating issue is concerned, most modern motherboards will actually warn you when the cpu is overheating (might be a beep or a message or something). you could try the win2k recovery console, but honestly i''ve never used it and i have no idea what it''s really for, and if you''re using a scratched CD that might not help you anyway. one thing you *might* be able to do is burn a copy of the CD if you''ve got access to a CD burner and see if the burned copy works. burn it at the lowest possible speed, and if your CD burning supports "verify written data" or something like that, make sure that is on. sometimes small surface scratches on an original disc that can actually be read when you make a copy.

This is not a big deal. Go to the place where you originally purchased Win2k, or even bring your OEM to a good computer store. They will replace a Windows CD, for free! Microsoft also sends out replacement CD''s. All you need to do is have your OEM ready.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!