Coding a renderer after everything else...

Started by
5 comments, last by Luke Philpot 21 years ago
Just something I''ve been thinking about, would working on the rendering side of things AFTER the sound, input, networking, etc. code is up and running be a good idea? Of course I would have a console and some basic text output, but nothing really beyond that.
Advertisement
no
and yuor name is funny!~
Really? Well yours is even funnier.

BTW, the "dumass" next to your name really suits you.

And BTW all, I'm Lukeyboy from IRC if you were interested... probably not, but I just felt like pointing that out.

[edited by - Luke Philpot on April 18, 2003 2:03:53 AM]
Oh and YodaTheCoder (fonger), *why* isn''t it a good idea?
Because the graphics will have a huge impact on the internal structure of your game. It pretty much affects everything from the structures where the data is stored to the main loop of your game. Also, graphics takes up the lions share of your CPU cycles (granted, AI eats a lot of cycles too).

So unless you already know *exactly* how you are going to do the graphics side of your project, you''re bound to hit troubles if you try to implement it afterwards.

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves GD][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Let me rephrase... Have some sort of basic renderer set up, but focus more on the sound, input and networking side of things.

Though, now that I think about it, there wouldn''t be much point.
Well, sound can definitely be done last... Graphics is important though because you may want to test things and it''s hard to see how your game is running if you only have text! I''d say just get graphics and input working (i.e. the bare minimum) and then write your network code and start putting it together..

Raj Sharma
Wildfire Games
0 A.D. Real-time Strategy Game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement