Purchasing Network Code

Started by
5 comments, last by Davaris 20 years, 11 months ago
Is there a company out there that sells network code in a .dll? I don''t really have time to learn it unless it''s dead easy. So I thought I might buy one if there is something out there that has similar conditions to FMod for sound.
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Advertisement
It''s dead easy. If you can''t even take the time to learn how to use winsock don''t even bother with on-line gaming. Winsock is rediculously easy compared to what you use it for. I wrote my winsock class in a couple days almost a year ago now and it hasn''t changed but the project is still being worked on.

If you''re looking for an intermediate solution while you learn, HawkNL is a free networking class. However you need to know winsock because general solutions aren''t generally good for real projects.

Network code isn''t worth paying for.

Ben
I was looking into writing my own net code myself. Honestly, WinSock is a bit intimidating for me, but I am trying to learn it myself, through use of tutorials. I also found out that Windows has included (at least with VC++ 6) a CSocket class. Would it be good for me to use this, or better to learn myself?
Peon
CSocket is not part of winsock, it''s part of MFC. You want to avoid MFC for pretty much anything related to games (maybe use it for level editor, but even then...)
I am almost finished my game engine and the network aspect is working spot on at the moment - it''s only TCP for now, but UDP will come sooner or later. If you''re interested I may send you a DLL for beta testing. How urgent is it?

Check out tinysquishy.tripod.com for a bit more info.
Uhhh...
Well there''s Quazal, there''s HawkNL, there''s enet, there''s......

Look through the resources on this site, or search Google. I''m sure you could find something to fit your needs.
---------------------http://www.stodge.net
You can try http://www.replicanet.com/ as you can use the freeware version for as long as you like.
Martin Piper

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement