• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Corrail

Maya Personal Learning Edition File Format

This topic is 5544 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all! I''m searching for the file format definition of a .mp (Maya Personal Learning Edition). Thanks a lot! Corrail corrail@gmx.at ICQ#59184081

Advertisement
This file format is something which will be fairly secret - if you find it out, then why would you buy Maya? Unfortunate, but true .

Trying is the first step towards failure.

It''s probably heavily encrypted. But you could always create a very simple object, save the scene, and compare it to an empty scene in a hex editor. In the unlikely situation that it''s not encrypted, you might crack it that way....

Guest Anonymous Poster
It''s not encrypted. I imagine it''s similar to the .max format - it''s an operator stack, not a set of 3d geometry. To write a program to open it, you would have to basically re-write the entire Maya application.

Besides, the file format is so bloated with stuff a game would never use it would just be a waste of space and processing time.

Hi there,

I had presumed that you could use Maya (if you purchased full
version) to create a 3D model, and be able to export the
vertices etc. Is this not correct? Although I would then
presume that any major game company would build their own
exporter tools.

Maya is an Excelent tool for model creation and animation etc. But the default exporters are not realy good for Games. But for that reasen Alias|Wavefront has found something. Its the MEL language. With that and with use of maya''s api''s you can write a good exporter.

Most companies that use maya do this. MEL is as far as I''m concerned not so difficult. The only thing you have to understand is how to work in 3D space and thats something you all have to know if you want to program a game.

As far as I know MEL is not supported in the PLE version of Maya.

Greets Mark.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!