• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blue-ice2002

thread is a must or not

This topic is 5546 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi,im writing a RTS game.but i have problems with multithreading and i wonder if making a game multithreaded is a must or not.why we use threads is for speed, and making code unlinear. for example to make the ai and render and music ..... different threads is good or not? or making every object itself run in its own thread? when i use EnterCriticalSection there are lots of combinations and controls for a linked list of objects in my game.what should i do and how can i easily get rid off deadlocks,consumer producer problems? please tell me your ideas thanks

Advertisement
that s a bad idea

in your main thread you keep your game with renderer entities ....

create another one for networking
and you propably want to create 3 stacks for network data

current previous
and next

next is the one where you read your data into the others are used for interpolation

you use a network thread cause you don t want to let your game wait until the next packed arrives

and recent sound implementations create their other thread anyways

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!