• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jeeky

Offscreen rendering

This topic is 5639 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here''s a brief description of the problem: I want to render images to an offscreen buffer so that I can save these images to a file. The standard way to do this is to create a separate offscreen RC and render to that. This method has the problem of not having shareable display lists and texture objects with your accelerated onscreen RC. BTW, wglShareLists will fail if you try to share display lists between different renderers. The easy solution is to use glReadPixels and read directly from your screen. This has the problem of requiring your image to fit on your screen. Also, if any other program window or menu is in front or your image, the overlapping item will get captured in your image. That means you can''t do things such as minimizing your program while rendering. Does anyone here have a method for offscreen rendering where you can share your gl objects? I am thinking of maybe rendering to a texture and somehow getting access to the texture bits. Also, if I do happen to go with the offscreen RC method, I know that the renderer generally falls back to the MS 1.1 gl implementation. Does this mean that my 1.x (x > 1) features (such as multitexturing) will not work, or that they will work but render slowly in software mode? Thanks for all the help! jeeky

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!