OpenAL and mingw

Started by
12 comments, last by BradDaBug 20 years, 2 months ago
The OpenAL Windows SDK only has MSVC libraries and stuff, and I''m using mingw to compile my stuff. That creates a problem. I''ve checked out the OpenAL cvs source and tried to build it, but the Windows version of it doesn''t have anything mingw can use to compile it! It''s all MSVC projects and workspaces! Are there any precompiled mingw libraries for OpenAL anywhere? Current Projects: GK3 for Linux | Landscape Engine | Bug Hunt
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
no offense but can t you spend a few bucks to get mvc++?
it s not that expensive
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
Because why should you when Mingw works fine, and for free?

You need to build them yourself out of the DLL''s. In some cases you can just rename the MSVC .Lib file(s) to .A and link them, but I''m sure it''s safer to build the library yourself from the DLL.
Good luck!
quote:Original post by Basiror
no offense but can t you spend a few bucks to get mvc++?
it s not that expensive

Spoken like a true Windows whore!

I renamed openal32.lib libopenal.a and alut.lib libalut.a and it seems to work fine, but now i'm getting "undefined references" to some alc functions. There is no alc.lib to convert, and I can't get it (alc.c) to compile. FMOD is sounding really good right now...

Current Projects: GK3 for Linux | Landscape Engine | Bug Hunt

[edited by - BradDaBug on April 18, 2003 6:51:29 PM]
I like the DARK layout!
In devc++ theres an option in the file menu to import a vis c++ workspace/project.
Because of the patch I sent Creative a long while ago, OpenAL''s windows branch will actually build in GCC (see this page for more information). I also have some cross-compiled Win32 binaries that I''ll put up somewhere if you''d like.

Wow, thanks! I''ll have to try that!

It should be completely possible to compile OpenAL like that in Windows using Mingw too, right?
I like the DARK layout!
quote:Original post by BradDaBug
It should be completely possible to compile OpenAL like that in Windows using Mingw too, right?

I haven''t tried it, but I don''t see why it wouldn''t work if you have all the correct tools installed and edit my Makefile as needed (e.g., the compiler executable name will need to be changed).

I must not be doing something right. I get a bunch of redefination errors in the DirectX headers, mostly involving LPDIRECTSOUNDFULLDUPLEX and LPCWAVEFORMATEX. Is there some define I need to be putting in the compiler options?

Current Projects: GK3 for Linux | Landscape Engine | Bug Hunt
I like the DARK layout!
quote:Original post by BradDaBug
Is there some define I need to be putting in the compiler options?

My Makefile already has all of the compiler options setup that I know about, I do get tons of warnings though (maybe some/all those are being turned into errors in your case?).

I''ve uploaded the binaries (and headers) I built here, if you''d like to use them. They''re not completely up-to-date, I built them from CVS a couple weeks ago, they should be good enough. ALUT is included in the OpenAL DLL (normally, in the pre-built Windows binaries, you link to it statically, which is bad considering its license). The only change to the OpenAL code was documented on that page I linked earlier, and it''s very trivial.

You can try getting the default Windows binaries of OpenAL working or building your own later on to replace mine, if you''d like.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement