• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

inoam

Which C++ compiler to use?

This topic is 5718 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I apologize if this question was answered many times already, but the search is broke (At least for me). So which Compiler should I use? I thought Visual C++ would be the best for me, but in book I'm reading (Thinking in C++) it says I will problems with VC. I don't mind paying for one, which one is the best for a beginner like me? [edited by - inoam on April 18, 2003 2:18:14 PM]

Advertisement
Visual C++ is an excellent compiler, but there is a larger learning curve compared to other compilers.

[edited by - Magriep on April 18, 2003 2:32:49 PM]

A few are Borland C++, DJGPP, and Dev C++. If you want to find more info on these search google. I''ve only used Visual C++, so I don''t know how easy it is to use I only know that it takes a while to learn Visual C++.

Guest Anonymous Poster
There''s a difference between the ''compiler'' you use, and the ''development environment'' you use.

Your development environment can be Notepad. It doesn''t come with a compiler, or much syntax help.
Your development environment could be VC++ or GCC, they both come with compilers.

You can code with either of the abbove, and compile your files with Intels compiler.

A compiler does just that, takes source files and compiles them, it doesn''t edit, you don''t type in it, it can usually be ran from a command line statement.

Dev-C++ is a free IDE for dos command line compilers (for windows) and comes with mingw. VC++ doesn''t have hardly any learning curve IMO, particularly compared with command line compilers. You hardly need to know anything to use the debugger, it''s entirely within the GUI.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
There''s a difference between the ''compiler'' you use, and the ''development environment'' you use.

Your development environment can be Notepad. It doesn''t come with a compiler, or much syntax help.
Your development environment could be VC++ or GCC, they both come with compilers.

You can code with either of the abbove, and compile your files with Intels compiler.

A compiler does just that, takes source files and compiles them, it doesn''t edit, you don''t type in it, it can usually be ran from a command line statement.

GCC is just a compiler, not and IDE. C++ .NET has free downloadable command line compilers, but visual studio/C++ is an IDE.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

Since you own VC++, the other complier you should own is Dev-C++
It should run your Thinking in C++ code.
And its free.

VC isn''t the best, but somehow it became the de-facto standard. Dev-C++ is slowly becoming more popular, and currently at my university, programs are split about

60% VC++
35% Dev-C++
5% Borland.

As for a beginner, I still recommend VC, since it is the de-facto standard, so most tutorials are written to use it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Which is the other 10 %

I''m a bit curious because I''ve only used Microsoft Compilers and IDEs, but what makes Dev-C++ so good? Would you consider it better than Microsoft''s new Visual Studio .NET 2003 for C++ development?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!