Which C++ compiler to use?

Started by
32 comments, last by inoam 20 years, 12 months ago
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
AFAIK, the only thing gcc really lacks is *complete* support for C99, but most of the missing or broken features are just picky details. http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.1/c99status.html

Ah, but we''re discussing C++, here, not C.
Advertisement
If you care about your sanity, paying $50 or whatever for an actual product (in the "lite" version) is probably well worth it. If you''re in college/university, it''s common to find student specials that may give you the full version, for non-commercial use.

Visual Studio .NET has a version of the C++ compiler which is MUCH better in C++ conformance than the old version 6 compiler. I can highly recommend it. Also, the debugger is very nice, as opposed to, say, GDB. When it comes to GDB, the old rule still holds: "you can put lipstick on a chicken and send it to the dance, but it''s still not going to get laid"

GCC 2.95 (I think that''s what it was, whatever the older MingW was) had quite a few problems when you got into the far reaches of the ISO standard.. but a lot of that is resolved by the 3 series I hear (I stopped using MingW and moved to VC++.NET).

By the way, SumDude, thanks for that link I am eternally grateful, I''ve been looking all day for the dos version of TC++3. Sadly my school is using it too and I''m writing a fairly large project that will require work at home and I hate writing perfectly compliant code only to return to school and find it not working due to such a broken compiler. (And yes, as someone said, do not learn with it.. it''s a terrible compiler that in my experiences produces the expected results only about 70% of the time and enjoys crashing).

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
If you care about your sanity, paying $50 or whatever for an actual product (in the "lite" version) is probably well worth it. If you''re in college/university, it''s common to find student specials that may give you the full version, for non-commercial use.

Visual Studio .NET has a version of the C++ compiler which is MUCH better in C++ conformance than the old version 6 compiler. I can highly recommend it. Also, the debugger is very nice, as opposed to, say, GDB. When it comes to GDB, the old rule still holds: "you can put lipstick on a chicken and send it to the dance, but it''s still not going to get laid"

How much is Visual Studio .NET? I''m using Visial Studio 6 but I keep hearing so much about .Net.

There''''s no town drunk here, we all take turns.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement