• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedo

Software processing

This topic is 5539 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am having a bit of a problem with my Quake 3 BSP loader. I have a GF4Ti and when I use this with HW T+L everything runs perfectly. Now I want to try my engine at work (where I have a shiny new 3Ghz P4) but the gfx card is a little shoddy (a mere ATI Rage 128 - who puts a GFX card like that with a P4?). Now as I said all is fine with HW T+L. However when I use software I get an access violation. Wanting to track down the problem I selected Debug runtime for d3d and there was an error reported in the runtime (only with SW T+L) - invalid index in stream. My app checks caps for vertex and index buffer sizes , when I create the VB and IB I get no error, when I lock and fill the VB/IB I get no error (I have checked all HRESULTS - all S_OK). Is there anything significantly different for SW T+L? For the record I have only 1 VB (set at startup and filled as needed (at load time). It is static), and several IBs (all dynamic for the Q3 level (the only thing I am displaying at the moment)). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Regards Neil WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!

Advertisement
Yes SW T&L is much slower

Honestly though, have you tried compiling your app in debug mode and using release runtime? This should generate the error and allow you to see which call to the runtime is generating the problem. I think this works anyway. Good luck

[edited by - Illumini on April 18, 2003 9:24:44 PM]

Triple check the flags passed to all the Create* functions - make sure the SOFTWARE_VERTEX_PROCESSING and SYSTEM_MEMORY flags are specified when doing the software rendering.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

quote:

have you tried compiling your app in debug mode and using release runtime

Yes this is how I got the error from the debug spew. Error generated on the DrawIndexedPrimitive call.

quote:

Triple check the flags passed to all the Create* functions - make sure the SOFTWARE_VERTEX_PROCESSING and SYSTEM_MEMORY flags are specified when doing the software rendering.

Tried this - no fix. The Debug spew still says invalid index in index stream.

Cheers

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!