• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neen10do

Game Idea... and help

This topic is 5719 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

well now that ive pretty much given up on my lost data (its going to be a while before my mom even gets around to getting the hard drive rebuilt), im thinking about my new game im going to create. i want it to be fast (meaning no puzzles or things like that). what im thinking is have a military type game, where you are a dude (yes, a dude), and you have to progress through areas by killing all of the enemies on the screen + collecting items and such. the "area" or "Rooms" as i am beginning to call them will only be one screen area (to prevent the hassle from making a map editor and tiles... i hate that). and in those "rooms" (although they can be outside), there would be a base image (the floor), and additional "objects" (these could be houses, barrels, walls, etc), and are sprites, to prevent having to tile. now i kinda have the game play worked out in my head. the player would control the "dude" so to speak with the mouse, showing a cross hair a specific distance away from the player''s sprite (so when panning around it would be in a circular fashion) (oh... its a top down perspective)... and if i do a complete top down perspective, i would be able to rotate the character ( and the enemies) using the functions to do so in the iddxsprite or whatever interface (i used directdraw for my last game, but direct 3d for 2d graphics this time). the player would move in the direction of the cross hair by pressing the right mouse button, and fire the gun by pressing the left mouse button. this is all working out in my head. but the main problem im having is the AI for the enemies.... i would have no clue where to begin to create at least slightly intellegent enemies... any direction? also, if you guys have any tips on helping with my process, possibly code structure (classes etc... although i think i got it down kinda) it would be appreciated, thanks! ---------------------- i code therefore i am. Aero DX - Coming to a bored Monitor near you!

Advertisement
Sounds interesting, especially if you were easily able to set "waypoints" for the character''s motion. Make techniques such as strafing essential to complete levels.

I don''t think it''s worth it to avoid tiling; you can really cut down on the time to create levels by using tiles. Remember that a tile defines more than just graphics; it can be used to easily add random per-terrain attributes, such as one-way doors, swamps through which you move slowly, bulletproof glass, non-bulletproof glass, broken non-bulletproof glass, etc.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Sounds like there''s some aspects in common with games like zelda - screen-by-screen movement for example, and a generally tile-based world; you ought to play the games, it should give you some ideas about things.

I wrote an article fairly recently on using waypoints to navigate through a world; however, if an enemy is limited to a single screen, waypoints won''t really be much help (as it''s such a small area - but I guess they could be used to navigate around obstacles within those rooms, or whatever).

One thing I would say is that not all enemies should have the same AI - given that you''ll probably have both melee and ranged attacks, some enemies will need to get in close to the player to hit him while others will need to stay back to fire from a distance.

I''m also not totally sure about that control scheme. If you allowed the player to use the arrow keys as well, it would be better - right mouse button to move forward just sounds unnatural.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!