• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yodaman

Lighting!!!

This topic is 5545 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alrighty, Well, Ive posted a few questions about lighting, and never seem to get a responce. Anyway, I know that there are many tuts out there on the subject of lighting, but I cant seem to find any really good ones. I know about multitexureing and making a circular lightmap texture, so please dont say that! My problem is, I dont know how to actually make real lightmaps, like the ones you see in quake or such. And how about dynamic lighting, is that just a regular lightmap texture that moves about the polys, or can you do dynamic lighting via opengl? Alrighty, well I know its a pretty big topic but If anyone can help, I thank them alot!!! ~yodaman

Advertisement
Quake actually uses radiosity lightmaps... Go look on www.flipcode.com, they have a few tuts about it.
And OpenGL''s built-in lights are dynamic...
You can also use dynamic lightmaps, but I''m not sure how.. I know I saw it around here somewhere.. Oh well, just google for it.

I''ve written a dynamic lights demo which uses a sort of fake 3D texturing algorithm and I''m hoping to write a tut on it soon. You can find the demo here :

http://www.exsanity.freeola.com/opengl.html

What about bump and RPG maps? They''re usful, I just don''t know how use them. Not that I need to, it''d just be a useful thing for the GD ppls to know.

Artificial entertainment- Define reality...

raiosity lightmaps are actuarly regular lightmaps.
Quake lightmaps doesn''t however have any relation to radiosity what so ever. quake 2 and 3 does.

Dynamic lightning when it comes to using lightmaps is not a different method, the quake engine modifies the lightmaps and the lightgrids in realtime just before it is renderd.
That''s why you sometimes can see the dynamic lights on the other side of the wall.

quote:
Original post by Luke Philpot
[quote]Original post by James Trotter
Quake actually uses radiosity lightmaps...

Quake uses regular lightmaps.

Sorry I meant Quake 2 and 3...
They actually precompute the lightmaps, with radiosity, before rendering...

quote:
Original post by exsanity
I''ve written a dynamic lights demo which uses a sort of fake 3D texturing algorithm and I''m hoping to write a tut on it soon. You can find the demo here :

http://www.exsanity.freeola.com/opengl.html

Nice demo!!

Looks like I made another great post so far

Anyway, Ive read the quake2 source code many times over and have studied how mr Carmack wnt about the dynamic lighting, to me its looks like he just made a circular triangle fan and then maped it to the "surface".

Anyway, Ive been told that quake3 takes something like 10 hours to compile its lightmaps...? kinda odd.

How does GL lighting work, I know that its per vertex, but how do they calculate it?

Thanx a lot...

~yodaman

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!