How can I add more levels into something simple

Started by
1 comment, last by yanuart 20 years, 12 months ago
I''m having trouble making variations for my game to increase the level. The fact is, when something so addictive it doesn''t require lots of variations, levels, etc. Take example any card game, minesweeper, tetris, etc. The gameplay is always stays the same no matterwhat. I''m trying to create a game based on a classic arcade and I''m challenged to increased or to create modifications for it so it''ll have more levels, but so far I failed to do so, since I''m confuse wether the modifications will ruin the gameplay or not. The way I see it, for an arcade game, sometimes the only thing changed when you increase into a next level is the speed of the game. Can somebody tell me anything else ?
Ride the thrill of your life
Play Motorama
Advertisement
speed of enemies
speed of player
speed of obstacles

strength of enemies (attacking/defending)
number of enemies
attacking pattern of enemies

obstacle complexity

less powerups etc
More modes of play should do it. It really depends specifically on what kind of game you are making. But, take for example Tetris. To add more "levels" to tetris, you could introduce various modes of play, like for instance a time challenge. Have a set of blocks which the player must dispose of through maneuvering pieces correctly, decrease the allowed time as the game progresses to introduce higher difficulty, or you could make it more difficult by making the set of blocks fill more of the screen at the start of the "level". You could make it necessary to align successivly more blocks in one go to destroy blocks, you could use a color system, where only blocks of the same color aligned will be destroyed.. and so on. Just a few ideas there, but I''m sure the principal shouldn''t be too hard to adapt to any game genre, all you need to do is introduce different modes of play that can be made successivly more difficult/interesting.
Cheers,SteveLiquidigital Online

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement