Jump to content
  • Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BradDaBug

What's going on?

This topic is 5720 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

I''m trying to keep my sanity so I''m going to ask this. My OpenGL landscape engine has gotten very picky about when it''s going to work right and when it''s not. If I add a printf() in the main loop all it renders is a blank blue screen, NOTHING else. If I remove the printf() then it renders fine. It''s not just the printf() though. It could be ANYTHING. In my camera class I may add two lines that basically look like "somevector = (0, 0,0);" and it''ll render the blue screen. Anyone have any idea why it''s doing this? Current Projects: GK3 for Linux | Landscape Engine | Bug Hunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
Sounds like your code isn''t very stable. All I can think of is its probably a memory management problem of some sort. If you''d let me see your code I might be able to tell you more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Anonymous Poster
If you''re on Windows, you should turn on all bounds checking, stack wiping, and other debug checks and asserts that you can. Also, turn on ALL compiler warnings, and fix them when you get them! Especially with Visual Studio .NET, this is likely to flush out a LOT of bugs with uninitialized locals, writes outside stack arrays and stuff.

Unfortunately, GCC on Linux doesn''t have as much support in this area, but at least there''s valgrind and a few other such tools to help out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:
Original post by BlueGrass
If you''d let me see your code I might be able to tell you more.

Although it''s not completely up to date, you can follow that link in my sig and download the source.



Current Projects: GK3 for Linux | Landscape Engine | Bug Hunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, I've fixed a few bugs and now it seems to be better. It runs fine on my computer, my dad's computer, and my brother's computer, all of which use some kind of nVidia card. But when a friend of mine tried to play it on his VooDoo 5, it crashes on startup.

I've added a Windows binary here. Why would it crash on a VooDoo 5 but not on three different nVidia cards? I'm not doing anything that spectacular (no vertex shading, no extensions, nothing) so I don't know what it could be.

Current Projects: GK3 for Linux | Landscape Engine | Bug Hunt

[edited by - BradDaBug on April 19, 2003 7:47:58 PM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hey! Look at that FPS! wow!

Rogue poly's, huh? The only things drawn are the water, skydome, and terrain. I guess one of those things is throwing out random poly's. I'll check them...

EDIT: There may have been a problem with the skydome trying to draw more polygons than was being sent to OpenGL. I fixed that. I dunno if that was the problem or not. I've updated the Windows binary to reflect the change. Try it now.

[edited by - BradDaBug on April 19, 2003 8:21:14 PM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!