• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ArnoAtWork

Space partition

This topic is 5714 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Different space partion algos exist but I only know binary tree(BSP, kdtree), quadtree, octree(different types) and several algos for terrains(ROAM,...). But does another structure exists to be used(more or less correctly) for In/Outdoor terrain?

Advertisement
I actually came up with an idea the other day that was kind of interesting. It involves prestoring polyons into clusters given that the polygon normals are within some epsilon value of each other. This way all backfacing polygons can be determined right away by their cluster id. When rendering you calculate the camera position relative to some axis (which the polygons were also calculated against). You only draw the visible clusters.

Obviously this has it''s drawbacks. The biggest being that hardware backface culling is pretty darn fast anyway. I still think it''s an interesting approach. Maybe if combined with some other scheme it may be useful.

Using "normal" octree is it as bad as that? I know that using octree is not optimised because you have a lot of cells which are not filled. That fact is that I was thinking about dynamic world.

If for example, we subdivide a big octree with the same level of recursion even if nothing is inside the cells. We could, after that, places world in the octree. In this case, we do not split faces, and if a face is inside two or more cells, we add this face in the corresponding cells. All faces are defined as FIXED. But if we destroy a wall, all moving parts of the wall are moving with physics. We just have to push the corresponding faces in the tree, as normal moving element such as physics or bots, and we define these faces as MOVING. When the parts are stopped, we just have to define the faces as FIXED.

Is it possible?

Arno.

[edited by - ArnoAtWork on April 20, 2003 6:21:57 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!