• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

micepick

My particle engine - Part 2

This topic is 5719 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I posted some demos of a particle engine I made on the For Beginners forum to see how it performed, and the results weren't pretty. Here's an updated version, featuring much nicer looking (textured) particles, and hopefully a huge performance increase. If you guys could download it, try it out, and tell me what FPS you get, I would really appreciate it. Particles.zip (Requires DirectX 8.1) Press A to spawn particles, and the number of active particles and the FPS will be shown in a console window (sorry, I still haven't added font support to the engine). Tell me what you think! [edited by - micepick on April 19, 2003 1:46:49 PM]

Advertisement
Around 54 fps, 10800 particles, GeForce 2 GTS, PIII 733.

j

[edited by - jdi on April 19, 2003 2:01:40 PM]

Woohoo, that really is a big increase. In case anyone else downloads it and is surprised by how few particles he gets, that''s because I changed the program (reduced the particle count and re-enabled the "billboarding" effect. Billboarding is in quotes because the engine is 2D so the particles automatically face the camera anyway ).

FYI I get about 200 fps with around 3500 particles now.

Good, it looks like the fill rate isn''t really a problem for anyone, and CPU speed is really the limiting factor here. Thanks, guys!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!