• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neen10do

Game Idea - Revised

This topic is 5718 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When describing my game idea before... i thought i was unclear... and did not recieve the input i had expected. after thinking about it some more, i believe i can describe my idea better, hopefully recieving better input. the control and display style im aiming towards is that of GTA2. however, there are two major changes. 1, it is not using 3d models, just sprites. and 2, the screen does not move, the gameplay would be held within one screen, until specific tasks etc are done they cannot go to the next screen. the controls of the player will be much like gta2. im thinking of creating a sprite animation from an overhead perspective, and then rotating it as needed. i want to aviod tiling (mostly because i really dont want to create a tile engine), but if i decide that is the way to go, i will probably do it in visual basic to save time. my questions are: 1)can the rotation / movement in that rotated direction be achieved using 2dsprites? 2) i want to use direct3d and the LPDXSPRITE interface, are the things im describing possible with this interface? any other input would be great, thanks! ---------------------- i code therefore i am. Aero DX - Coming to a bored Monitor near you!

Advertisement
Well, no offense or anything, but I''d say rethink the way this
game is going to be played. Unless I''m misinterpreting what
you mean by the screen not moving, you mean that your charactor
just stays in the middle of the screen and he just looks like
he''s moving, like gameboy. I would like my charactor to move.
And I wouldn''t really build an engine with visual basic. Visual c#, c++ or both are much, much more powerfull.

Check out my site!

Demon Realms Studios

well i see where you have misinterpreted what i was writing.

the player would move... but the playing field would only be one screen... so the screen it self would not move. the player would move about the screen, and when the area is complete, they would move on to another location, but the locations themselves are only one screen area. the player would move around in it though.

IF i were to go to a tiling engine, i would do the tile engine in visual basic, just to cut down production time. the game would still be coded in c++.

----------------------
i code therefore i am.

Aero DX - Coming to a bored Monitor near you!

Like a Zelda gameboy game basicly. That sounds like a great idea, I cant answer the technical questions because I am a noob to game programming, but I can tell you not to waste your time with VB, I program with both VB and C++ and C++ is way more powerfull, eficient and solid.

[edited by - kriptek on April 19, 2003 5:13:24 PM]

i know that vb is a waste of time, as i wasted plenty of time trying to make a good game from it.

i know that the game will be coded in c++, that is a no brainer. but IF i were to go to tiling, the tile editor would be in vb, this way i dont have to waste my time with coding the interface, i could get the tiler up and running in shorter amounts of time rather than i had coded it in c++, the files created from the vb tile editor would then be pulled into the game (which is coded in c++).

any tips regarding the rotation etc, or technicalities?

----------------------
i code therefore i am.

Aero DX - Coming to a bored Monitor near you!

rotating bitmaps is kinda hard. so use openGL or d3d

opengl is my personal choice. for rotating the character u can use a simple function glRotatef and voila

but i''m not so sure there are OpenGL libs for VB so go VC++ (much faster and powerfull)

i think in games they dont rotate bitmaps in the game but they make a lot of pictures of the character at different angles and use those.

As of DX8 DirectDraw was thrown out of the window, and true 2d went with it. Now what we''ve got is the ID3DXSprite interface which you can easily use the create sprites for use in your games, but they still exist in 3d space, really the sprite class only hides the nasty bits of d3d for you.

If you check the docs you''ll see that the sprite interface has a DrawTransform() method, you can pass a matrix to transform your sprite by, and presumably apply a rotation using the matrix easily enough (i haven''t used the sprite interface myself, anyone know if you have to rotate around the look vector or can you just rotate around the Zed axis?)

I know you don''t need telling but your spot on with the VB idea, no idea why peeps are trying to discourage it. You''d get a tile editor running in a fraction fo the time. Good luck with the game.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have to agree that VB is a good idea for the tile editor. I don''t know if this is still the best way but I''m pretty sure that most 2D games back in the day would have 8-16 pictures and you would just switch pictures when you wanted to rotate the image. That way you wouldn''t have to mess with any 3D manipulations.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!