• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ekim_Gram

What is Open GL?

This topic is 5541 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m thinking of getting the book on it that was feautred here a while ago but I have no idea what Open GL is. There''''s no town drunk here, we all take turns.

Advertisement
OpenGL is a set of functions and libraries used to render 3D graphics, much like the Direct3D component of DirectX.

Direct3D and OpenGL both accomplish things in their own unique ways, but essentially cover similar rendering concepts.

OpenGL applications can run on more than just Windows. Direct3D is Windows only.

Most 3D games for Windows nowadays use Direct3D or OpenGL. A rare few use both.

[edited by - Waverider on April 19, 2003 3:15:18 PM]

OpenGL is a libary that allows you to do 3d Graphics. It gives your program a set of functions you can use to create 3d stuff basically. Once you've learnt basic C or C++ learning OpenGL could be a good next step.
[edit]Waverider beat me to it, and gave a better explination[/edit]

[edited by - Monder on April 19, 2003 3:16:43 PM]

Which would you suggest I use? Open GL or Direct X? Lemme put it more clearer, which would be the best for somebody with only a little experience in C++?

There''''s no town drunk here, we all take turns.

That''s always a rather touchy subject but I recomend OpenGL as it''s a hell of a lot easier to use, cause you don''t have to go dealing with lots of Dx interfaces, just simple function calls like you''re used to.

I would dare to say OpenGL is easier to learn, but Direct3D has more compatibility and power with today's hardware. Go for the learning curve first. Knowing the concepts of 3D graphics is more important at this point. You can access even more functionality of OpenGL by unlocking the extensions, which you will eventually learn more about (but save that for later). You can decide which API you like more when you have experience with both.

Make sure you get a book that helps you program OpenGL in Windows (specifically to help you get a rendering context going, which is what you need to do first before you can even do any rendering. The setup is Windows specific. After that, you can call OpenGL functions as much as you like).

[edited by - Waverider on April 19, 2003 3:22:48 PM]

There''s one very important fact missing here. If you intend to only develop on the Windows platform, then maybe Direct3D may be a better choice due to its Windows dedicated features and enhancements, as well as Microsoft''s policy of neglecting OpenGL (let''s see how things go with Cg!). On the other hand, multiplatform development should involve OpenGL.

For me, openGL provides a better learning curve for 3D graphics programming and I would imagine that''s why Nehe''s OpenGL tutorial is so popular over the DirectX equivalent.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!