• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ekim_Gram

Where to go...

This topic is 5713 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Right now I am currently going through the book Sams Teach Yourself C++ In 21 Days and it''s pretty good. I also have a copy of The C++ Programming Language. (That was the first C++ book I got before I found out it wasn''t novice friendly.). What should I get next for something for game development? There''''s no town drunk here, we all take turns.

Advertisement
Yeah, I''ve read Sam''s too. It''s really good, though I still think C++ is a bitch to learn (no flame intended). Anyway, where do you want to go? What kind of game do you want to create? Most times, it''s a good idea to learn some kind of graphics-API, like OpenGL. I can really recomment the OpenGL superbible if you want to do it from a book, but you could get free tutorials from nehe.gamedev.net and some really excellent tutorials from www.gametutorials.com. And how good are you with paint-programs and/or 3D-editing? For most game-development, creating the art is also an aspect. That is of course, especially if you''re going to be a stand-alone game developer. Then, one aspect of game development you really shouldn''t under-estimate is the sound. The programming of a sound-engine might not be that difficult, especially when using FMOD or a likewise API, but sound/music is one of the most important aspects of a good game. So you might wanna take a look at that too....

Well, after I finish Sams, I''m gonna read through The C++ Programming Language -- over 1000 pages of pure reference. That''ll keep be busy for a good while...maybe I''ll just browse through the stuff and read up on stuff that keeps me down like pointers and references...uggg...I''m going through the reference day now. The concept is easy but it''s a tad bit confusing.

I''m going to be a stand alone game developer for now, I''m only 14 so what do you expect? There are probably people in college on these forums, or it can be the exact oppisite. I think I might get that Open GL book that was featured here last week, it seems worth it.

There''''s no town drunk here, we all take turns.

Yoda: He did add something relevant, he pointed out that there is a beginnger''s forum where you can ask questions. You just made a useless post. I''ll say nothing more concerning you (and your troll''iness).

Try out OpenGL Game Programming. I heard it''s really quite good (my brother is using it ).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!