• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

demonrealms

What do you recommened?

This topic is 5540 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I was just thinking. It kindof helps to have a charactor builder like milkshape. But I was wondering if anyone knew what would be the best charactor builder that''s not the most complex thing there is. Any suggustions would be nice. Oh yeah, I can spend up to $50 as of next friday.

Advertisement
i would recommened 3ds max or maya but they are no where near $50.3ds max 5 is the latest in the series which cost about $3000 and maya complete is $2000 but maya unlimited is about $7000. but you could get gmax which is free,u could get it at the discreet''s homepage. it is kind of like a mini 3ds max. or u could get blender which is also free, u could get it at www.blender.org.

quote:
Original post by ssjeci
i would recommened 3ds max or maya or u could get blender which is also free, u could get it at www.blender.org.

quote:
if anyone knew what would be the best charactor builder
that''s not the most complex thing there is

O mi dios! gmax is 3D Studio Max! I mean, it''s got almost everything except the rendering engine! WOW! I''m so happy! I''M SO HAPPY!

The sunshine has just come back into my life! I''m going to celebrate!

Current Projects: GK3 for Linux | Landscape Engine | Bug Hunt

NO, GMax is NOT 3D Studio Max.

You can only use it to create content for games which use the Gmax SDK (which is expensive). It doesn''t support standard formats, and as already noted has no renderer engine.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

quote:
Original post by BradDaBug
Aren''t there plugins for it that will export stuff to "standard" formats (like Quake 3 files)?

Oh, possibly. After all, there''s nothing stopping you from writing a loader for the formats that it *does* use - I think The Sims is one, you could write a Sims model loader. It all depends on the formats that it supports, and the developers who have paid for their products to be supported; if iD didn''t pay for Discreet to include Q3 support, then Q3 support won''t be there.

To be honest, I''ve not used the program myself. But I read up on it very carefully when it came out...

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

quote:
Original post by superpig
if iD didn''t pay for Discreet to include Q3 support, then Q3 support won''t be there.

Actually, I would think that ID (or any other company) wrote their own exporter for 3ds using the MAX SDK...I doubt that discreet would write a custom exporter/importer even if they were paid for it..but I might be wrong

-Luctus
Codito, Ergo Sum (Courtesy of ThinkGeek)

[Mail][DreggSoft]

quote:
whats wrong with milkshape?

I can''t figure out how to use it and it expires on like
9 days. So I''m running out of time. -_-

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!