• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mathematix

What are your thoughts on Cg?

This topic is 5720 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I game a game programmer employed as something else in IT with the usual C, C++, OpenGL, DirectX, blah, blah. I''m thinking of investing some time in learning Cg. Does it have anything radically different over OpenGL/DirectX as opposed to use with OpenGL/DirectX apart from better suitability with DX9? Thanks y''all!

Advertisement
I just got the book too. Tried the first sample though. Seems like a nice langauge. But I think I''m going to use glSlang in the end, as it seems to resemble C/C++ closer.

I don''t have a signature

I''m prepared to give anything related to nVidia and C a try. Sayiong that, i am still reluctant to stray from the traditional methods of game development.

Cg doesn''t work so hot (at all, as far as I can tell) on Radeon 8500s. I''ll wait for glSlang. (or get a new video card)

I''m hip because I say "M$" instead of "MS".

Guest Anonymous Poster
I don''t think it''s Cg that''s bad on the 8500, it''s just that the 8500 is running first gen vert/pix shaders. you''d probably get similar performance on a GF3. They''re just old cards now.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Mathematix
Oh well, it should be fine on my GF4 Ti4600. A nice little reassurance.

minus DX9 shaders...

No problem about the shaders. After all, if a game is that engrossing you will not notice all the eye candy!

The usual stuff goes here for a signature.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!