Text Based RPG

Started by
13 comments, last by steve010 21 years ago
quote:Original post by MTT
Thats cool, but not cool enough for my standards. I have decided on making a text graphic fully operational rpg and you can''t stop me. The only problem is i think i will get addicted to makeing it longer once i get the structure running. I guess thats not such a bad thing though, just time consuming. Maybe il end up with a full legnth rpg.

Considering your first post explained that you didn''t even know what a text based rpg is, I think you''re setting yourself up for disappointment if you''re expecting to just go out and start coding a full featured rpg. Start small and simple, trust me.

The less that is done, the less that is left undone -Lao Tsu
unkn.Enigma1625
Advertisement
Don''t underestimate a text RPG though, they can get pretty advanced. Most of the ones I have seen use an actual looking system like a frustrum. Then whatever is inside that, that is what the charater see''s. There pretty much like a 3D RPG but a very descriptive text base, kind of like D&D in a strange way. One good thing though, people can''t say your graphics suck because it''s their own imagination BTW, isn''t todays 3D RPG''s just text adventures with graphics? Anyway good luck on it, their fun.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
NoNoNo, you got me all wrong. I just didn't know that text based rpg = text adveture, i know what a text adventure is. What i'm making isnt a text adventure either, it is just an RPG that uses low end text graphics. This wont be the first game I have programmed, im not exactly a seasond pro either though. I am not planning on coding the entire thing in one mighty swing of my axe but in small stages. The first thing i am doing is just makeing so there is a 1 level dungeon that you can roam in and collision detection on the walls.
like this:

XXXXXXXXXXX XX     XX    XXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX XX        XX   o    XXXXXXXXXXX    

This would be a 79x20 charecter map (number of charecters that can go on console screen - 4 rows) it might be 20x79 i dont know you put first rows or colums? Anyway the o would be you.
Then from there i might put multiple levels. Then random battle encounters, charecter leveling, a boss...ect. The point is i am making it step by step.

I know it isnt going to be simple for me to code but im pretty sure i can do it. Every so often you just gotta take a break from learning to program in windows and code somthin

[edited by - MTT on April 20, 2003 1:48:14 AM]

[edited by - MTT on April 20, 2003 1:49:51 AM]
--------------------------http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/icons/icon51.gif ... Hammer time
Ah, in that case, check out the maze tutorials on the game tutorials website: http://www.gametutorials.com

I worked on the exact same thing you''re describing; I made a little maze out of ascii chars and planned on implementing a battle and leveling up system into it. The problem is not as much the difficulty of the coding, but the fact that there''s so so so much data to keep track of, it becomes quite a chore just to do the simplest of tasks. I''ve realized that rpgs are not the types of games I ever want to have to program.
unkn.Enigma1625
Does anyone know what the equivalent of those console functions would be in Linux? I''m getting interested!
[email=dumass@poppet.com]dumass@poppet.com[/email]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement