• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tuxx

Nautilus troubles

This topic is 5633 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In my new Slackware 9.0 desktop, whenever I run GNOME, the background doesn''t show up (the background stays to the XFree86 black and white crosshatch, even when I change the background). Also, I can''t open Nautilus. Since Nautilus controls my background, and it won''t open, obviously something is wrong with it. When I enter nautilus at the GNOME terminal, I get the following error:
$ nautilus
nautilus: error while loading shared libraries: libcdda_paranoia.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Now a Google search has told me that this is a component of the CDDA library. Why would Nautilus need that? Should I download libcdda_paranoia.so.0 and place it somewhere, like /usr/lib? Thanks.

Advertisement
Slackware 9 for some reason doesn''t include a lot of stuff that it SHOULD. In other words, it sucks. If you''re going to use Slackware, I suggest downgrading to 8.1, and using the Dropline-GNOME installer to get GTK-2, GNOME2, etc.

Just install the cdparanoia package (cdparanoia-IIIalpha9.8-i386-1.tgz) from the "ap" group and it should work. (provided you don''t need other things)
I use slack 9.0 and I like it. I''ve used 8.1 too but 9.0 seems to be faster. I know the main distro doesn''t have many applications included. But I like to start from a bare commandline system and build everything from the grounds up. (and thus avoiding stuff I don''t need) Well, it''s just pesonal preference, isn''t it?

Click NOW!

Yes, it is.

I also agree that 9.0 is faster. But this is too big of a sacrifice when it means I have to manually download about 20 libraries just to get ONE program working. And that''s not even counting the countless other things that I use on a regular basis that aren''t included in 9.0.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!