• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

n0ob

DIBs for 3-d thingie?

This topic is 5634 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Someone told me that I should use DIBs if I wanted to be able to access my pixels, say in an array, and modify them however I wanted that way. I''d like to use this to make a Liero type game. For this post however, I was wondering if I would use DIBs for a crude 3-d engine. If I didn''t want to use DirectX or OpenGL, and just have my own mathmatical entities and get pixels from them somehow, would I use DIBs? Thanks for your time! Kings of Chaos

Advertisement
No, you''d just store the data in an array (you wouldn''t need a bitmap). Bitmaps are only good for textures. Why can''t you use opengl or direct3d?

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

I know how to store my pixels and modify them etc, but how would I show them on the screen: DIBs. At least that's what someone here told me a while ago.
I wouldn't make my own 3-d engine to use practically or anything, I would make it just to make one I guess. A crude simple one. But would I use the same method, DIBs, of showing it on the screen?
This business of actually showing my colors on screen is a bit new.. I know of bitblt, setpixel, the directX stuff, gettin into dibs... But the old days, you know, Liero, how could I do that? Thanks for your response!

Kings of Chaos

[edited by - n0ob on April 19, 2003 12:05:37 AM]

quote:
Original post by n0ob
I know how to store my pixels and modify them etc, but how would I show them on the screen: DIBs. At least that''s what someone here told me a while ago.
I wouldn''t make my own 3-d engine to use practically or anything, I would make it just to make one I guess. A crude simple one. But would I use the same method, DIBs, of showing it on the screen?
This business of actually showing my colors on screen is a bit new.. I know of bitblt, setpixel, the directX stuff, gettin into dibs... But the old days, you know, Liero, how could I do that? Thanks for your response!

Kings of Chaos

[edited by - n0ob on April 19, 2003 12:05:37 AM]

Just go through an array of pixels and draw each one to the screen. There''s no need for anything else, if I get what you''re saying...

Draw to screen.. DrawToScreen()? (sorry had to be sarcastic ) Or you mean use SetPixel()... See, I''m not sure HOW or what to research. I want to make a real-time-ish engine, not just a still renderer. Thanks for your response again!

Kings of Chaos

quote:
Original post by n0ob
Draw to screen.. DrawToScreen()? (sorry had to be sarcastic ) Or you mean use SetPixel()... See, I''m not sure HOW or what to research. I want to make a real-time-ish engine, not just a still renderer. Thanks for your response again!

Kings of Chaos

Hmm, If setpixel is how you want to draw your pixels, that''s fine. You''re going to have trouble with realtime though because you can''t use 3d hardware.

um, no, I don''t want to use SetPixel().. What would YOU recommend I use??? Or is that "because you can''t use 3d hardware." a hint that I need to somehow access my 3d hardware for my realtime wants. Any keywords of what I should use?? Thanks

Kings of Chaos

quote:
Original post by n0ob
um, no, I don''t want to use SetPixel().. What would YOU recommend I use??? Or is that "because you can''t use 3d hardware." a hint that I need to somehow access my 3d hardware for my realtime wants. Any keywords of what I should use?? Thanks

Kings of Chaos

Sorry if I sounded harsh, I would recommend plotting pixels, and I think setpixel would work. 3D hardware is going to be tough because most hardware accelerates only opengl an direct3D. I would use an array to store the pixel data and then use your favorite pixel drawing method to get it on the screen.

quote:
Original post by n0ob
Sweet man!!! Thanks! Hey, what''s your favorite pixel-drawing method btw?

Kings of Chaos

I personally like using GL_POINTS in opengl, in ortho mode, but there probably isn''t much difference.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!