• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aBadProgrammer

determining height infomation of a terrain

This topic is 5633 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Recently my friend build a terrain in 3DS and I loaded it into an OGL application. Loading is easy but the problem is that I also need to determine the height information of a given position so I can place object on the terrain. The first idea I came up was to simply use the height value of each vertex. However, the problem is that vertices does not exist everywhere. i.e say I have an Triangle plane specified by 3 vertices (-10.0f, -5.0f, 1.0f), (5.0f,5.0f,2.0f), (10.0f, -5.0f,3.0f) now if I want to place an object on (-10.0f, -5.0f) I can easilly tell the base of the object should be placed at z=1.0f but what if I want to place the object at (2.0f, 2.0f)? maybe this can be done by interpolating those values but the terrain is quite complex and I think there must be an easier way to do this. What do you guys usually do to solve this problem?

Advertisement
Well, for a start we don''t often make terrain meshes in 3ds max. It''s very difficult to scale down detail for distant terrain that way; a technique like geomipmapping is more common, where a 2D bitmap (a picture, basically) is used to generate height information.

Interpolation is unavoidable, though.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!