• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xtremehobo

How to avoid going to church and Christianity discussion

This topic is 5834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So history was a nonstop parade of biblical figures? There was never any duration of time when no one extremely important was alive? Wow, can you imagine living back then?

~CGameProgrammer( );

Advertisement
but there are two disproofs to that:

1) Who knows how long passed between the time the Bible was written and the time people figured the ages. Could have been a LONG time.

2) What if it happened a LONG time ago, and the days, months, and years were longer than normal? That would screw everything up.

I believe that most of the Bible is metaphorical, so I have no problems with stuff clashing with science.

[edited by - fadilthrejk on March 19, 2002 at 4:53 AM]

Plenty of things in the Bible are symbolic, some are literal, some are both.

The seven day creation isn''t presented in any way that would indicate it was symbolic. The whole reason for the sabbath being one day is God''s day of rest on the seventh day.

Ben

quote:
Original post by KalvinB
Plenty of things in the Bible are symbolic, some are literal, some are both.

The seven day creation isn't presented in any way that would indicate it was symbolic. The whole reason for the sabbath being one day is God's day of rest on the seventh day.
Oh right, so the idea isn't to rest for several million years?

I don't think you should start going down the road of taking something which sounds literal but which doesn't agree with what you are learning in school, and then try and find the most twisted and vague interpretation you can get out of it which does agree. Maybe Jesus' resurrection was just a metaphor, and really meant that he had come alive by being remembered in some people's hearts. Maybe God is a metaphor for the laws of physics. Maybe heaven is a metaphor for dying happy. If you keep going down this road you aren't going to end up with much of a religion.

[edited by - NotAnAnonymousPoster on May 1, 2003 12:07:27 PM]

but how long was a day? who can say, but someone who was there? I don''t believe in a sentient God, I believe that God is the energy and goodness that exists. When I say ''energy'', it is not any kind of comprehendable energy, it''s just the best word I can find. I use it like our ''essence'' and our ''spirit''. Our energy IS God, I say. I believe that our energy manifested itself, slowly changing to what it is now. When we die, I believe that our energy becomes part of a collective of energy. Then it transfers itself into another form, after a while. If we deserve it, and led compassionate and meaningful lives, caring only about ending the suffering of others, than our energy manifests in a way that we cannot see from here. It''s here, but so different, everything is perfect from the reference point of our remanifested energy. This is like heaven. We keep manifesting until we achieve this higer state of being, and then we simply cease to be. All the energies in ''Heaven'' become one, and the self disappears. Eventually, all the energy will be in the whole, and the process of creation will begin again. I believe that the Bible is metaphorical so that simple man will understand it. And to make it more believable to primitive minds, like in the Dark Ages.

Does it really matter if a "day" in the story of creation is 24 hours or 24 million years? Is this an argument for the sake of arguing? It doesn''t affect basic Christian beliefs no matter what it means. Can we just say that no one but God knows for sure and move on?

that would work, but it requires our innat urge to learn as much as we can. We want more than anything to know what we can never know. At least not in this phase of existance.

quote:
Original post by fadilthrejk
Then it transfers itself into another form, after a while. If we deserve it, and led compassionate and meaningful lives, caring only about ending the suffering of others, than our energy manifests in a way that we cannot see from here. It''s here, but so different, everything is perfect from the reference point of our remanifested energy. This is like heaven. We keep manifesting until we achieve this higer state of being, and then we simply cease to be. All the energies in ''Heaven'' become one, and the self disappears. Eventually, all the energy will be in the whole, and the process of creation will begin again. I believe that the Bible is metaphorical so that simple man will understand it. And to make it more believable to primitive minds, like in the Dark Ages.

So who decides what is "compassionate and meaningful"?

If the entire Bible is metaphorical, why are some parts more metaphorical than others when there would be no need for it if the entire thing was metaphorical? Why is most of the Bible structured so that it cannot be taken as anything but literally?

quote:
Original post by fadilthrejk
that would work, but it requires our innat urge to learn as much as we can. We want more than anything to know what we can never know. At least not in this phase of existance.
That innate urge must be different for each person then. I have no urge to learn about things other than what directly affects me. The time period for creation is not one of those things. I couldn''t care less about most of history. I know what they say about being doomed to repeat the mistakes of history, but common sense and having God in your life and living by his standards and not mans can help avoid that.

compassion is the desire to end others'' suffering, and help them better understand giving to others. I want people to stop suffering worldly..ly. We are all suffering, all the things we have, cars, money, whatever, doesn''t come with us when we die. So we are devoting our lives to money and such, forgeting about the important thing: Ease others'' suffering, and only desire to end your own suffering by easing others''. That is truly the only way, I believe. It''s hard to explain, you just have to experience it. Cars and video games are really great, because a MEANINGFUL life is one filled with experiences and joys. and the effort to ease others'' suffering.

This topic is 5834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.