How to avoid going to church and Christianity discussion

Started by
1,139 comments, last by benjamin bunny 20 years, 11 months ago
Dress up like Satan.
Advertisement
i dont find it anymore annoying than going to school everyday.
actually school is way more boring. ANd i get to see pretty asian girls(i go to korean church)

[edited by - tyro on April 19, 2003 12:25:37 AM]
hmm.. good point... I don't want to go to school now, either :'(
edit: yet, I still will. School doesn't give out free dougnuts either

[edited by - Xtremehobo on April 19, 2003 12:26:54 AM]
pixelwrench.com | [email="matt[nospam]@pixelwrench[nospam]com"]email[/email] lethalhamster: gamedev keeps taking my money, but im too lazy to not let them
quote:Original post by Xtremehobo
Lots of stuff in the bible seems ''storybook'' or ''fairytail''ish. Things seem to happen in ways that are quite ineficiant (like somewhere I think it says that the first humans were made from sand...

I''ve got a fairy tail for you. Millions and billions of years ago, lots of stuff magically came together and then it magically exploded! Millions and billions of years later the stuff turned into rocks, and then more millions and billions of years later, humans magically came into being.

The Bible is as good of a story as any. Evolution says we are decendants of dirt too. You don''t think of it as a fairy tail though, because in first grade a teacher you don''t know told you that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago. If someone would have told you the earth was 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs were just the animals that lived a few thousand years ago (some of which still live today) in first grade instead, you''d laugh when someone started talking about billions of years ago and the big bang and how this massively complex world of beings came into creation all by chance, and think "how weird...that sounds like a fairy tail..."
Cypher: Actually, the day Jesus arose from the dead and ascended into Heaven, but ya know, who''s counting.

Xtremehobo: About the fairytale thing - remember, this stuff, if it did happen, happened many thousands of years ago, even for the people who originally wrote the books of the Bible. History that old is very difficult to store and record accurately, and one of the best ways that mankind has found to pass knowledge over long periods is myths and legends. These stories do get distorted, though. Look into some biblical history sometime, and the scientific theories that have been present for some of the events - it''s pretty interesting stuff. Just remember, if it sounds kind of ''fairytale''-ish to you, it might be because the Bible''s been subject to a 5000 year long game of ''telephone''.
Not to mention the fact that many religions, and much of the Bible, use symbolism religiously(pun intended). Trying to figure out whether something written in the Bible is supposed to be a real story or a symbolic representation of an idea can be kind of tricky.

With that said, I wish I had paid attention in church as I was growing up. Then I might not feel like I''m behind and need to catch up.
__________________________________________________________America seems to like crap because its what we make popular. - Goober King
all good points and I completely understand;
I still wan''t to stay home and watch tv tomorrow morning though

time for sleep now..
pixelwrench.com | [email="matt[nospam]@pixelwrench[nospam]com"]email[/email] lethalhamster: gamedev keeps taking my money, but im too lazy to not let them
Tell your mom after playing Doom you decided to become an athiest.
just say no.

failing that, say your busy.
quote:Original post by Programmer One
Blow up the church.

blow up yuor parwents

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement