How to avoid going to church and Christianity discussion

Started by
1,139 comments, last by benjamin bunny 20 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by Russell
I''ve got a fairy tail for you. Millions and billions of years ago, lots of stuff magically came together and then it magically exploded! Millions and billions of years later the stuff turned into rocks, and then more millions and billions of years later, humans magically came into being.

Every time people spout this crap it pisses me off. Why don''t you study some biology?
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Cypher Ae
Say that you don''t believe in celebrating the day of Jesus'' crucifixion. That is what easter''s about isn''t it?

Why would anyone celebrate this? Easter is the celebration of Jesus'' reincarnation. Christians haven''t been devoting themselves to a faith for 2000 years that celebrates his death...
Hmm...can't be of much use here...I study Buddhism.

P|Artisan|
Breathing life into digital content.

[edited by - Partisan Artisan on April 20, 2003 1:45:25 AM]
Do they give out Easter Eggs at church?

Mmmm ... chocolatey.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
quote:Original post by Tron3k
Every time people spout this crap it pisses me off. Why don''t you study some biology?
Thanks for proving my point. See how ignorant and closed minded you are?
When you wake up (woke up.. bah) on Easter morning, let out a blood-curdling scream and throw yourself on the floor, then make sure you''re rolling around clawing at your face when your parents come in to see what''s going on.

Pity I missed it.
quote:Original post by Russell
Thanks for proving my point. See how ignorant and closed minded you are?

Nice point. I''m very closed-minded - I don''t even believe in fairies.
Why don't you tell them you will start attending church when the priest can explain all of these to you? You can also work on your mom with all of the sexist passages in the Bible (always great for pissing the women off). If your parents fall on the socially liberal side, don't forget the kill the homosexuals passages. And lets not forget all the blood thirst war mongering in the Old Testament. Just complain that you read the Bible and are horrified by its contents and can't possible embrace such a religion.

You really should read the Bible; its quite entertaining. Its my favorite piece of fiction.

[edited by - invective on April 20, 2003 3:27:12 AM]
Actually church was meant to be... well not quite "entertaining" but definitely a place you'd enjoy going to. Back in medieval days the church was a sanctuary. Life was pretty awful in Europe but the church was big and seemed very safe and the hymns and things were inspirational. Basically it was very important for psychological health for most people... much more so than today, I mean.

Myself, I'm an atheist, though I have been to church 2 or 3 times with my parents when I was younger (for the experience -- they're agnostic). It is very boring but be glad you don't have to go every week

quote:Evolution says we are decendants of dirt too

LOL! Russell, you clearly know absolutely nothing about evolution. Dirt is created when organic matter decomposes. This has nothing to do with evolution. You should take a class in biology and maybe learn something.

Evolution does NOT explain how life began. OK? No one has the slightest idea how that happened -- there's just a bunch of theories with no real evidence either way. Evolution merely explains how simpler lifeforms became complex lifeforms. Evolution happens all the time -- the simpler the lifeform, the faster it happens. A virus can evolve in one day.

~CGameProgrammer( );
DevImg.net - Post screenshots, comment on others.
Town 3D Engine - A city-rendering 3D engine. Download the demo.

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on April 20, 2003 4:22:01 AM]
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
quote:Original post by invective
Why don''t you tell them you will start attending church when the priest can explain all of these to you?...

[edited by - invective on April 20, 2003 3:27:12 AM]

Actually most of those are explained on the site that you linked to, wether or not you believe the explanations is another issue.

------------------------------
p.s. excuse me english. im from L.A.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement