• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xtremehobo

How to avoid going to church and Christianity discussion

This topic is 5807 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

quote:
Original post by DrunkenBastard

Actually most of those are explained on the site that you linked to, wether or not you believe the explanations is another issue.

There are plenty of other sites that list contradictions with out trying explaining it; I just like this one because it gives you an idea of the poor quality of the explanations they usually come up with, like "This could be another copyist''s error. " And if you ask most religious people, they can''t come up with an answer half as good as most of the ones listed on the site. Its fun to question a Christian about their own religion and see how little they actually understand (especially the missionaries); you should try it some time.

Advertisement
Oh BTW just say that you don''t believe in that crap and refuse to go. Easy..If you can''t do that you are a sheep!

your parents can''t make you go to church, unless you are rather young, which you still should have a choice. It''s fairly bad if you have a religion forced on you. I''ve never been to church, no one can make me. I don''t believe in God.

quote:

The Bible is as good of a story as any. Evolution says we are decendants of dirt too. You don''t think of it as a fairy tail though, because in first grade a teacher you don''t know told you that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago. If someone would have told you the earth was 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs were just the animals that lived a few thousand years ago (some of which still live today) in first grade instead, you''d laugh when someone started talking about billions of years ago and the big bang and how this massively complex world of beings came into creation all by chance, and think "how weird...that sounds like a fairy tail..."

You really have no idea what you are babbling about, do you? The theory of evolution tries to make no guesses about where we came from. It does not suggest an origin of life, and should not be compared to something that does.

Creationism, on the other hand, does try to explain everything, yet whilst being so general it also suffers from being totally irrational. The thought that there is something out there controlling us, sickens me.

As for going to Church - don''t bother trying to get out of it - just go. I was forced to go for the first 15 years of my life every Sunday, think yourself lucky.

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains." - Sir Winston Churchill

quote:

Evolution does NOT explain how life began. OK? No one has the slightest idea how that happened -- there''s just a bunch of theories with no real evidence either way.

There''s some pretty strong evidence that the huge amounts of energy released during a lightening strike can fuse together chemicals to form basic building blocks of life.

quote:

Evolution merely explains how simpler lifeforms became complex lifeforms. Evolution happens all the time -- the simpler the lifeform, the faster it happens. A virus can evolve in one day.

A matter of hours, is more like it. Remember, these things can increase their population by massive amounts.

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains." - Sir Winston Churchill

I kinda want him to do the blood curdling scream and clawing his face while flopping the floor. I''d pay to see that.

Personally I am glad that I live in my own place so I choose not to go to church... Also, Easter is over now, its quarter to 10 at night. So I''m a coding just like a normal night

Geez. Going to church isn''t like the end of the world you know. The only reason it is so bad for you, is because of your pre-disposition (or something like that ^_^ ). Because you keep telling yourself that it sucks, you go there in the worst mood possible, and keep thinking "This sucks!", meaning you will be spending two hours thinking the same thing. In my book, yes, that is incredibly boring, and yes, that sucks

But it is your own fault. I used to have church for the same reason as you do. Didn''t go there for many years. Recently, I just decided to go again. On my own. And then it was quite different. Okay, it is still not very entertaining, but because I went their without thinking "This sucks!", it was a lot better then it used to be.

And I''m Pagan, so beat that

WARNING: LONG AND CONTROVERSIAL

All my thinking about religion and God has led me to this question...

If God is truly almighty and the master of everything, why does he allow good _and_ bad souls to be created?

Someone with a bad soul will live an awful life, he or she will get into trouble, get other people into trouble, and then it will all be equalled at judgement day (bad, bad, bad).

This I think is proof that if God exists, he is a _*bored* superbeing_, he creates unequal souls to play the good against the bad, and watches it all happen like a TV Soap.

He leads us to believe that he is good, and the devil is bad. But the Jews, for instance, think that God and the devil are the same entity. This is emininently possible.

If God created all people relatively the same, and relatively good, life would be good for all human beings... but imagine a TV Soap where nothing ever goes wrong; from Gods' perspective it would be very boring.

Also, human beings are created with internal struggles, which are always biased to the bad. The deadly sins lie within us all to greater or lesser degrees. If someone enjoys a 'sin' too much or too often, holy revenge will be levelled. If the fear of holy revenge is too much, and someone abstains from the sin altogether, they will be socially ostracised and desire for the sin will be amplified. If someone tries to balance the situation, the 'devil' will be employed to push the situation into sin; It's got to make good TV.

Also, God and the devil always speak through metaphore and innuendo; that is indirectly and unprovably. The last time God truly 'spoke' was with miracles (impossible, physcially real occurances). Truly, noone has any proof of these. The thing about speaking in metaphore and innuendo, is that it can be deemed untruthful, as the person from which it eminates isn't telling the direct, absolute truth. This means that Gods' word is carried via an 'insecure' method, open to interpretation; and could be considered a lie (if he is capable of miracles, why aren't they happening today?). Faith is the answer, but how can someone have Faith in a liar; by their nature they are unreliable.

Lies are bad, everyone knows this. If a lie is combined with 'the six degrees of separation', it's easy to see that one lie can quickly move around the world creating 'chaos'. The more lies there are, the more chaos there is, as everyone is acting on innacurate information. If lies are evil, and chaos is evil, and God lies, then God must be evil (or at least the devil half, but theres no way of telling who is who (except by the qualities of the soul, which is decided by God in the first place)). (during the proof read of this, I think this sounds like bad people are the devils work; but, where was was God at their conception? If God were serious about stopping evil, all he would have to do would be to control the distribution of genes of future people and make all people good; evil would be completely eliminated within a generation. (Humans have about 30,000 genes, not all that complicated))

We are led to believe that God is struggling against the devil, and some of the devil's evil works are unstoppable. This may or may not be true. However, God and the devil speak with same voice, and could be the same being.

This is possibly related to the actual, base-level, state of the universe. Quantum laws state that something can exist in two separate and different states at the same time. This is illogical, and if God lives there, he is probably illogical too (and twisted up). Another reason for the 'grand soap opera' could be to help him rationalise _his_ existence; we as humans are logical and finite.

The solution... my best current theory is to avoid holy revenge by being good, esp. non-violent. Beyond that, I'm not going to have children. This may or may not lead to holy revenge, but I am so ticked off at being a pawn in his game of chess, that the only way to stop the game is to never start one.

R

"He who fights has already lost"
"My soul should be better behaved, and less troubled. I am annoyed it is not."
"How long would it take one man to envision my life?"
"'Happy Easter' ... 'Buh?'"
"... and I want to rip his heart out, just for hurting you ..." - Nickleback - Silver Side Up
"... build your house on firm ground." - (whatever that means) - The Bible

Resist:Temptation

[edited by - reaction on April 20, 2003 10:52:26 AM]

This topic is 5807 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.