• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Muhagl

The best Graphic API after DelphiX

This topic is 5568 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have to Create a Nippon RPG like Sqares FFVI. DelphiX is for my Project to slow (The DrawAdd and DrawAlpha Routines ). After that i get Focus on PowerDraw, but i have Problems with the Texture Format (Power of 2 and only 256x256 on older 3d Cards) and my Pre Release Engine works only on 10 Computers of 80! Can anyone tell me witch API i should Use? Sorry about my bad English. I come from Germany... all i can say is: "A Beer Please" - Sauerkraut

Advertisement
the restrictions (power of 2 textures and only 256x256) don''t come from powerdraw but from the 3d-card. so every api that uses direct3d and the 3d-hardware will have the same restrictions (i think). and from my experience powerdraw is very stable. the things I made ran well on all computers with directX 8.1/9.

btw, your pre-alpha didn''t work on my computer either. I don''t think the error lies within powerdraw...

I would suggest you may use the Omega headers. They are very fast and very easy to use. I am german, too and use them for my coming game.

Omega homepage: http://www.blueworldtech.com/ds/
You can download omega from the news section.

www.ericbehme.de
Has a forum, too.

Fell free to ask me stuff about omega or DelphiX.

Perhaps you want to enter the omega community (we are already 4 germans in there, you can ask private questions in german...)
or the forum in my homepage, or you can email me, if you like to.

Yo, thanks a lot 2 all!

I think my Pre Alpha didnt work becouse the Tile Texture has 489x256 dimensions

Why don''t you try the JEDI headers? You could possibly use them to improve DelphiX and keep with compatability. The only things that are terribly slow, really are the alpha blits and rotations. Maybe the scaling effects. I may be making some of these modifications myself. I could offer you the conversion if you like, but I''m not sure I can do it yet. More research needed still.

Hey WILL at RedAnt, someone already converted DelphiX to work with the Delphi-Jedi headers (http://turbo.gamedev.net)...
The problem however is, that DelphiX is based on DirectDraw which does not support hardware accelerated alpha blending. If you want that, you''d have to use Direct3D and its 2D capabilities.

Guest Anonymous Poster
@Harry Hunt: Your XCESS GDC looks very Interesting. But I get a problem at Compiling the D3DSprite Demos. The Compiler can`t find the "D3DXCreateTextureFromFileInMemoryExA" Processhotspot in the D3DX81ab.dll. I have the Dll from youre Site...

that''s very strange.. it works fine with me. What''s the file date on your DLL? It''s 12.11.2001 for me.
XCESS doesn''t even use D3DXCreateTextureFromFileInMemoryExA.

My guess is, that you are experiencing an incompatibility between XCESS and another DirectX component set OR the DirectX 9 headers you might be using. Does any of that make sense?

Ok, it Works Now! Delphi used the DX9 headers. But i deletet these headers in the Library Path before (Scary)... I think the XSDevKit is genius for my Project

I Forgot... I`m using Delphi7... works fine with XCESS... only i found a little TRect/PRect Problem in the DXDirect3DSprites.pas... ist aber nicht der rede wert

By the way: Thanks a lot!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!