• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antony52

Is C++ that necessary?

This topic is 5714 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am familiar with C and want to stay that way.Its simpler for me.However is C++ that necessary for games that I want be able to find work in the game industry?I would like to hear your non flame opinion.

Advertisement
Well I just want to tell you if you can manage to make an openGL or directdraw app without c++ then you''re in the track you want... but I think that''s kind of almost impossible...

You would have to write your own c libraries for 2D and 3D to get into the industry... what I dont know is if allegro runs in C...

Well i just think C++ is C... but with more flexibility :D

C++ is used in the industry because it object-oriented(that means it has classes) which makes it much more cleaner and organized. A lot of companies use C++ but any other object-oriented languages like Delphi, Java or even Visual Basic can get you a job.

Also almost all compliers are C/C++ so you can use use C and C++ commands at the same time.

The languages are not really that diferent for example:
In C:
#include <stdio.h>
printf("Hello");
In C++
#include <iostream.h>
cout << "Hello";

Both do the same thing. That wasn''t a great example though since C++''s strong point is classes.

Your probably afraid of C++ because the only code you have seen is in COM,DircetX or some other complictated code. If you understand the basics of C learning C++ should be no problem.

Guest Anonymous Poster
As long as you''re proficient at C and have a demonstrated ability to use 3rd party packages, you might be fine. However, it should be easy for you to pick up C++ pretty quickly. It''s good to have as many languages as possible on your resume. I''d suggest you at least learn about classes and all that good stuff. Then, use whatever you want in your own projects. A demo project written in C rather than C++ won''t matter as long as the code is manageable.

Maybe not neccisary but its a big help. Most things are a hell of alot easier with C++ and it doesn''t take that long to learn most conversions and anything you don''t know you can just use the C for instead.

I agree with AP.

Even if you don''t use C++ as your primary language, you should still learn it. I also prefer non-OO programming, but I know C++ OOP. Like anybody, I prefer what''s comfortable with me, but I won''t let it get in the way of what''s _required_ of me.

LOL @ siaspete!

Quick answer you can use C for pretty much everything, except for when dealing with DirectX, and even then its pretty much can all be done in C or a mix of c/c++ not needing to use classes or any OOP.

Or atleast you could when Dirctx 5 was standered havent programmmed in awhile *sigh*

you can definitely use pure c code for dealing with DirectX.

For example:

lpDD->lpVtbl->CreateSurface (lpDD, ...);

There are also macros which expand to this.

Forgive me if i am wrong, but isnt lpDD pointer to the directdraw CLASS? That would make it C++ code, no? The only other way to use objective hiarchy that i know of in standard C is in structures (correct me if i am wrong)

whenn copy nd pastee get rigghht the first time/
whenn copy nd pastee get rigghht the first time/

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!