• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SimDemon

Game idea questions...

This topic is 5713 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey there. Thanks for reading this. I had an idea for something that is like asteroids, but with my own modifications. I am thinking of making it full 3D (inside the spacecraft) and flying around in space, shooting asteroids. I was thinking about using an infinite universe of stars. If you think you would be interested in the game, or have any suggestions, please reply =). Thanks, Matt U. If thispost = 0 Then GoBack() Else Read() End If

Advertisement
Sounds like a good idea... only thing I could suggest right now is maybe you might want to put some boundries on your universe.

Might get a little complicated having such a large universe, also could be very memory intensive.

Just my 2 cents

Let us know how your idea develops

Mike

Better yet, instead of boundaries, just do something like a wrap around. The player wouldn''t even have to know if you blend the boundaries well.

HellspawnXIII
Build a man a fire, and he''ll be warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he''ll be warm for the rest of his life.

That is a good idea. Now I have something else to face. I can''t decide whether to use DirectX 8 or OpenGL for the graphics, sound, input, etc. If you can recommend one for this type of game please reply. I have a fair amount of experience in both of them.

If thispost = 0 Then
GoBack()

Else
Read()
End If

If you go with OpenGL, then you can make it cross-platform.

IF you go with DirectX (9, not 8 - it''s not hard to switch), then you can use things like the .X file format for your models, and stuff like HLSL for cool effects.

Determine your requirements...

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

u dont have to make bandaries for ur game, try to make it 4d, it means it will always go from one end to another, or the space is some how curved that you will always loop no matta which way you go, or a 3d hole which i cant describe what i meant, basicly it loops and curves. P.S : we lives in a 4d world not 3d.

if u some how confused, then u might want to read it over and over again to understand it.

Well, I think I will use DirectX 9. I need to know if I can upgrade my header files and DLL files without downloading an entire SDK for DirectX 9. I have a dial-up connection and 125 MB is quite a bit =). If there is any way to do this please let me know. It took me forever to download the entire DX 8.1 SDK. LoL.

Thanks,
Matt U.

If thispost = 0 Then
GoBack()

Else
Read()
End If

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!