• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mrhodes

Game speed.. very slow

This topic is 5635 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I''m having a weird problem with my little game enigine I am writing. It''s amazingly slow! I haven''t touched this code in over 4 months, but after I cleaned it up, and ran the exe, I was getting less then 5fps! That''s just an estimate... My program is a scrolling tile map with a character sprite on it. This ran fast before, I''m not sure why it''s slow now. I''m running Win2000 on an AthlonXP 2100+, 512MB Ram, Geforce2MX... no reason a simple 2D program should be so slow!! I also have a linux server that I have winex installed on, and beleive it or not, my program flies on that computer (Duron 900, 768Mb Ram, Riva TNT card). If anyone has any ideas could you please lend a hand. I''m using DirectX7 for Directdraw, and version 8 for input. I have directx9sdk installed. If you would like to test my program on your system, please let me know, and I''ll email it to you. Thanks, Mike

Advertisement
Ok, thanks....
I''m in the middle of installing Gentoo linux on my main computer right now, so once I have everything up and running I''ll send you a copy...

I have a suspision that it could have something to do with the DirectX 9 SDK. I know that doesn''t seem right, but before, a long time ago when I had dx8sdk installed, it ran great...

Anyway.... I wasn''t planning on using any of the new features of directx9 anyway, so when I get windows back installed, I''m going to put the 8.1 SDK back on.

Mike

If you''re using Visual C++, make sure you''re running in Release mode. The speed difference is quite significant, but you lose the use of debug info.

I had the same problem with my OpenGL apps. Ran fast before. Didn''t touch the code for a while and then ran slow. It turned out that in my old app I called some glHint funtions that just didn''t work with properly under OpenGL 1.3. It fell back to software mode. I''m pretty sure there is a similar function within Direct3D (some general setting within Direct3D) that causes your app to run fine under your old DirextX version but causes a fallback to software rendering under DirectX 9.

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves GD][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

I had the same problem after I installed the latest drivers from NVidia (43.45). If you did that, I suggest you install a previous version.

Hope it helps,

André

"- To begin with, said the Cat, a dog's not mad. You grant that?
- I suppose so, said Alice.
- Well, then, - the Cat went on - you see, a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

[edited by - Andre Luiz Silva on April 22, 2003 3:39:29 PM]

quote:
Original post by llyod
[quote]I had the same problem after I installed the latest drivers from NVidia (43.45). If you did that, I suggest you install a previous version.

This is probably it. I also installed the new drivers and suddenly games that worked fine before dropped to 2fps.

2DNow - Yesteryears technology at your fingertips! - REDESIGNED!

same here with my GF2 MX400, i have the 2nd oldest drivers now

Thanks for the advice guys... I do have the latest drivers installed, so I will downgrade them to older versions to see if it makes a difference.

I''m just using DirectDraw, so any changes to the DirectX API would have no effect. I don''t beleive MS has done anything with the DD library since DX7...

I''ll let you guys know how it works out

Thanks,

Mike

Wow... you guys were right.... I just changed from the newest drivers to 40.71 and the program runs fast again!

Should this be brought to nVidia''s attention??

Thanks,

Mike

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!