• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3D_nOOb

Landscape engine...

This topic is 5598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m about to start working on a landscaping engine and I need some ideas from you guyz - Yann especially First thing to note - I''m only 15 and I''m just started in 3D programming. Keep that in mind :D. I do have some experience already though. - The engine should be capable of handling huge terrains because of the game it should be used in later. (A 3D RPG-type game) - Which algorithm is the best suitable for such an engine? A heightmap is no option since overhangs and stuff should be possible without making cover-up models and stuff. - How do I get the sky to look as real as possible for example in the screenshots Yann posted back a while. I would appreciate it if Yann would explain, in simple english :D, how he did create such skys, which algos he used and where he did find information about those algos. - Any tips & pointers to get the landscape to look as detailed & realistic as possible. For example grass and lighting. - Any tips on how to create the most realistic lookup bushes and trees. I thought I read something about XFrog in one of Yann''s posts. What is it? Thx in advance

Advertisement
Hate to be a downer but I suggest that you get your feet wet with some brute force terrain engine before you go on to something like ROAM or another LOD algo. You won''t be able to use the brute force terrain in your 3D RPG but it should prove a good learning experience. Take it in steps.
-Greg

I said already that I have some experience already (atleast I thought I said that :D)

Anywayz, I have used the brute force method already and that simply won''t do for a huge terrain. I hope you do agree with me on that

I agree that taking things step by step is good but I''d like to finish that engine before I''m turning 99 lol.

Furthermore, I was asking you people for advice on which algos to use so I can study them. This way I know what to be prepared for 8)

Thx in advance

I would suggest ROAM but you said you needed overhangs. Maybe try a LOD implementation interpolating between different resolution meshes. Just an idea, I have nothing to back that up with.
-Greg

quote:
Original post by 3D_nOOb
- Which algorithm is the best suitable for such an engine? A heightmap is no option since overhangs and stuff should be possible without making cover-up models and stuff.

Geomipmapping, or a variant, is a good choice. Also look into chunked LOD.

quote:

- How do I get the sky to look as real as possible for example in the screenshots Yann posted back a while. I would appreciate it if Yann would explain, in simple english :D, how he did create such skys, which algos he used and where he did find information about those algos.

Click.

quote:

- Any tips & pointers to get the landscape to look as detailed & realistic as possible. For example grass and lighting.

First get your engine to work on a basic level, eye candy comes after that But if you want, there are some links in the forum FAQ, in the special effects section.

quote:

- Any tips on how to create the most realistic lookup bushes and trees. I thought I read something about XFrog in one of Yann's posts. What is it?

XFrog is the industry leading software package to create realistic organic objects. Xfrog homepage. There is a free trial version available.

[edited by - Yann L on April 20, 2003 1:17:53 PM]

Here''s an idea: (not that I know too much about landscaping engines...)

You could use the heightmap idea but use several heightmaps at regular intervals (0m,5m,10m,15m,...)
This could be used to make overhangs but the terrain still may look choppy. Worth a try however.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!