• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirge

What are Octonions good for?

This topic is 5712 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
A quick google search will give you all sorts of interesting answers, but the short one is not much as their "applications" are very theoretical. They can be related to 7 and 8 dimensional geometry, but as we only live in 4 dimensions quaternions are far more practical for us.

quote:
Original post by johnb
we only live in 4 dimensions

Care to write-up a proof on that?

Well, can you find a fifth coordinate to describe a point in time-space that actually has meaning to a human? I didn''t think so. Not to say that only four dimensions exist, but don''t waste your breath trying to convince someone that they can perceive more than that.

He claimed that we only live in 4 dimensions, not that we only percieve 4. If you truly believe that we only live in the dimensions we percieve, I reccommend reading a book named Flatland. Just Google it.

Living in n-dimensions and perceiving only n-dimensions are in practical application the same thing. Day-to-day life for me consists in living in a 3-dimensional spatial world and the only time this would ever change were if, like in Flatland, I were yoinked out of the realm of perception I live in and given a way to understand the 4-dimensional perception of things. However since it isn''t terribly likely that this will happen any time soon I think we can safely say that we ''live in a 3d world.''

-- Exitus Acta Probat --

Damn..I knew I should have read that book.

Gamedev for learning.
libGDN for putting it all together.
An opensource, cross platform, cross API game development library.

We do live in four dimensions (at least).

Einstein told us that time can be treated as another
spatial dimension. So we live in three dimensions of
space and one of time. This is spacetime. Modern
String Theory theorizes up to eleven dimensions,
where dimensions five through eleven are curled up
too small for us to perceive in any way.

Tim

This topic is 5712 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.