3 easy question @ experienced dxers.

Started by
0 comments, last by sparksfly 20 years, 12 months ago
Hey, I am new to directx programming but an experienced games programmer using former APIs. Thanks to all people who''ve replied to my posts. 1. When loading graphics for my game (2D iso. tile/sprite based), should I load all my sprites and tiles onto ONE animation surface, or use separate surfaces for groups of sprites (e.g. a surface to hold all frames of one sprite, or surface for all tiles) 2. When using graphics should I load them straight from files, compile them into the exe as a resource, or compile them into a dll? 3. Is it better to use ddutil.h shipped with SDK examples or just write all the code yourself? Thanks for any/all answers to these questions, it helps more than u think. Rob
Advertisement
quote:Original post by sparksfly
1. When loading graphics for my game (2D iso. tile/sprite based), should I load all my sprites and tiles onto ONE animation surface, or use separate surfaces for groups of sprites (e.g. a surface to hold all frames of one sprite, or surface for all tiles)

You decide. Tiles at same size COULD be located on one big surface, but if you have MANY tiles it will probably become annoying to handle.
My 2D engine has a tool for creating my own graphics format which supports both methods.

2. When using graphics should I load them straight from files, compile them into the exe as a resource, or compile them into a dll?

hmm..Don''t know. I convert tga''s to my own format (which can contain many frames in one file) and load those from disk.

3. Is it better to use ddutil.h shipped with SDK examples or just write all the code yourself?

If it does what you need then use it. But it loads bmp''s and everybody will be able to view and alter your image files.
-------------Ban KalvinB !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement