Using script

Started by
3 comments, last by ArnoAtWork 20 years, 12 months ago
I am developping an engine(that is not surprising, everybody begins the post with that ) and I am looking to add script. But even if I know that script could help a lot to design the game, should I use it for everything in the game such as rendering parameters which could be changed differently. In fact, it seems that some people create a new language forgoting that a language already exists(C,...). So what''s really the range of possibilities I should include in the script? Moreover does a script language exists which is particularly simple and powerful? Thanks a lot. Arno.
Advertisement
Although I have not dealt extensively with scripting, I know that it is a very useful tool in that it makes it easy to add content to the game without recompilation, which makes it possible for artists to do a lot of such work. As far as specific languages go, Python and Lua are very good.

Gamedev for learning.
libGDN for putting it all together.
An opensource, cross platform, cross API game development library.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
Small is an okay language too.
Lua is one of the easiest to embed and to write scripts in. There are a number of people using it on these forums, and the Lua mailing list (although spam filled at times) is very helpful.

Others that may work are Python and Io

[edited by - cozman on April 20, 2003 6:38:12 PM]
We are currently working on a project which includes script for different things as well. For this we chose Lua, since it is not only easy to lern, but also easy to embed and use.

Game Scripting can be great for logical things like the internal work flow and especially for level design and AI behaviour. You should have a look at examples like Biowares NWN Script (used for Neverwinter Nights) and if you want to see, how Lua can be used throughout the whole game code, then take a look at the open source game Enigma which is the best example on how to use Lua on this planet. ;-)

Have fun!

Buy BomberFUN online now for only EUR/USD 19,95 at http://www.bomberfun.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement