• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chief_Voyager

which one first?

This topic is 5544 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

O.k., i''m a complete newb to c++ (i''ve got the teach yourself in 21 days book, i''m on day 8, while reading practical c++ (on chapter 2 in that one)) and i was wondering which game book i should get first: OpenGL (which really intrigues me, my favorite games are coded in it) or Lamothe''s Game Gurus book? which one would be easier on me? thanx You''''re about as ate up as a football bat.

Advertisement
If by "Lamothe''s Game Gurus book" you mean Tricks Of The Windows Game Programming Guru''s then this book is available as a PDF download from www.programmers-unlimited.com - under Books.

Lamothe''s book provides a pretty good grounding in general game programming. I bought it a couple of years ago, and read most of it, but not all. It''s got a lot of info in it that would probably be useful if you were writing a software renderer.... but you''re probably not. The fundamental structure of the game logic is well presented, though.

I don''t know what specific OpenGL book you''re referring to. Maybe it''s a games programming book that happens to use OpenGL, which would make sense. It doesn''t really matter what graphics API you''re using, though. Lamothe''s book is based around DirectDraw, in case you didn''t know. I think he wrote a second book with some Direct3D stuff in it, but I (obviously) haven''t read it.

I started writing some things with DirectDraw while reading Lamothe''s book. Then I got distracted for a couple of years, and when I started graphics programming again I started using OpenGL. I can''t think of a good reason to use DDraw again. That might give you some idea of what''s more worth learning. OpenGL might be a little more complicated to learn from a mathematical point of view, though.

I haven''t tried 3D programming in DirectX, by the way. You might prefer it to OpenGL.

Harry.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!