Improving preformance of DelphiX's DXDraw

Started by
3 comments, last by WILL at RedAnt 20 years, 12 months ago
Does anyone know how I could improve the speed of the alphadraw method? Of course I''m talking about modifying the DXDraws unit. I''ve been looking through the DirectX8/9 headers from JEDI and it seems simple enough to work with. It has the Blt functions and all, but where in DelphiX''s code is the code failing to use the hardware speed-ups? I''m using the SXMedia components for DelphiX and the video playback requires TDXDraw so I need to work with DelphiX. So please no comments of how other libraries are better.
Advertisement
I think the first versions of Powerdraw were just developed for that purpose. Powerdraw 1 only was an enhancement for DelphiX. take a look here: turbo.gamedev.net/delphix.asp. But instead of using Powerdraw 1 I would recommend using version 2 or one of the other d3dwrappers (Omega,Gamevision,Xcess...)
PowerDraw 1 won't work with the latest DelphiX. Some problems with the DirectDraw Surface Interfaces. I've messed with it, very annoying.

DelphiX is open source so it can't be all that hard to write a new alpha draw can it? What exactly does DelphiX do that makes it so slow? Is it the fact that it uses DirectDraw and not Direct3D?

[edited by - WILL at RedAnt on April 24, 2003 1:25:07 AM]
I think, since DelphiX uses DirectDraw, the alphablending-calculations are done by the cpu (which is kind of slow, since the cpu is not optimized for doing such things). you have to find the function that is doing the alphablending calculations and then replace it by a better (faster) one.
there are some articles on fast alphablending here on gamedev, maybe you can make a faster one using them.
Excellent, I'll give it a go. Thanks.

[edited by - WILL at RedAnt on April 24, 2003 5:37:10 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement