• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CF8

Fun games to code

This topic is 5536 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I just got done programming the Game of Life simulation, which is a very easy game in terms of the rules, but produces some really complex results. I had a fun time programming it and was wondering if anyone knew of games/simulations that are quick and fun to program and are pretty cool to watch or play afterwards, like the Game of Life was. Any ideas? Thanks.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Mandelbrot fractals

Right now I''m working on a game where you can create ''bots'' with various parts, write simple AIs, and then have them battle.

quote:
Original post by JNewt
Right now I''m working on a game where you can create ''bots'' with various parts, write simple AIs, and then have them battle.

you''d probably like an AI editor i wrote over the weekend, I''m working on a game and I wrote the AI editor similar to carnage heart''s ai editor (robot fighting game on psx). you can have it if you want it, i a fan of tools sharin. win32

quote:
Original post by CF8
Hey, I just got done programming the Game of Life simulation, which is a very easy game in terms of the rules, but produces some really complex results. I had a fun time programming it and was wondering if anyone knew of games/simulations that are quick and fun to program and are pretty cool to watch or play afterwards, like the Game of Life was. Any ideas? Thanks.

make a fire effect and mess with the parameters or draw stuff in it . you can probably uses your gol sim as a basis. the fire effect if you don''t know uses two buffers. go though every pixel in one buffer and set it''s color based on the average of it''s pixels around it put that color on the drawing buffer. you can probably find it on the internet somewhere..

I heard about something along the lines of what JNewt was making called Corewars, and some variations of it in C++. That sounds pretty cool... but in games like corewars, if im not mistaking, you''d have to have 3 executables interacting with each other - I have no clue how to do that. Anyone try to write a program that maybe reads 2 text script files and have them battle? That might be pretty interesting.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!