Direct X 8.1a SDK Installation

Started by
2 comments, last by Betrayer_of_Code 21 years ago
I just got the Dx 8.1a SDK and i want to know where i should unzip it to, or does it matter? Im using Dev-C++ if that changes anything Homepage Luck is a Horse to ride like any other...Luckily im not a gambler, I dont know how to ride. For any total noob out there Here is a like to my tutorials, thry them out
BoC HomepageLuck is a Horse to ride like any other...Luckily im not a gambler, I dont know how to ride.
Advertisement
Also a side quesiton i''d like to add.. I recently just purchased the wonderful game Battlefield 1942.. Which makes you install DirectX 9.0(with no uninstall, Stupid directx...)

I''ve been really busy with school ending up this semester, andyways I had trouble compiling someone elses little game getting external errors with directX. Does having 9.0 interfere with the 8.1 dev kit?

-DD
^Bump^

EDIT : I've read through their faqs... and still can't come to a conclusive answer to this question(my question). I did however finally find a link for the 9.0 sdk. After reading through you can use seperate portions while compiling. Say the 8.0 version of direct 3d, yet use the 9.0 of direct input... Still not sure on conflicts but i think that still was my issue. ANywhos.. if anyone can still answer ^his^ question up there.

Normally... I'm sure you issue will just be installing it. It doesn't really matter where you install it to... just so that you can find it for linking purposes etc. I'm still hoping someone with Dev C++ can give a solid explanation to your specific case.

-DD

[edited by - agentidd on April 21, 2003 8:19:56 PM]
Having DX9 does not interfere with the DX8 dev kit, EXCEPT for the fact that your DX9 is probably the retail version, and the dev kits usually expect you to have the debug version. AFAIK, you can switch between debug and retail editions of the same version - so if you''re having problems, get the debug version of DX9 and install that.

As far as I can remember, you just unzip the DXSDK to a temporary directory, and then run the setup program that it contains. Check in WinZip if you want - I think it extracts most of the files into a DXF folder, and then puts a setup program at the root. Once you''ve installed, you delete the temp folder. (Yes, it does mean you need space for TWO dxsdks on your disk... god knows why...)

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement